Announcements
We’re doing scheduled maintenance on ATO Community to bring you a bigger, better and brighter online community.
You may see us go into read-only mode over the weekend while we do this. Don’t worry! You’ll still be able to search the site to find your answers.

ATO Community

Re: ABN Registration as a non-resident company

Views 539

Replies 1

Hi,

I want to register my european registered Company for ABN and GST as non-resident. I have got the company incorporation and VAT Certificate certified as required.

The company has two non-resident directors for Australian tax purposes. Do i need their identity documents copies to be certified or not for registration as i am confused by the wording on the requirements page? 

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @basit13 

Thank you for your question.

If an associate (eg a non-resident director) of a non-resident entity (the non-resident company) which is applying for an ABN, is not able to provide a tax file number (TFN), then the associate will need to provide other Proof of Identity (POI) documents.

On the Australian Business Register (ABR) website the page Proof of Identity for non-residents advises:

• If you post certified copies of documents to us, we may not return them to you unless you specifically request this at the time of lodging and include a return postal address.
  • Ensure you understand who can certify original copies and your requirements when your documents are in a language other than English.

So, in order to add the associates' details to the registration for an ABN, first photocopy their proof of identity documents, and then take the originals and the copies to a certifier (see this link Copies of Documents - applicants outside Australia to check who can certify), who will stamp the copies to certify them - to say that they are the same as the originals. If the original documents are in a language other than English, you must also arrange for documents in another language to be translated into English and certified as a true and correct copy by an authorised translation service (also see the above link for authorise translation services). Then, send the certified copies to the Australian Taxation Office (ATO). The ATO will not ordinarily return these certified copies to you, unless you specifically request at the time of lodging and if you have also included a return postal address.

To save delays, when you mail the documents to us, include the name of the non-resident entity and the ABN application reference number.

I hope this will assist you

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @basit13 

Thank you for your question.

If an associate (eg a non-resident director) of a non-resident entity (the non-resident company) which is applying for an ABN, is not able to provide a tax file number (TFN), then the associate will need to provide other Proof of Identity (POI) documents.

On the Australian Business Register (ABR) website the page Proof of Identity for non-residents advises:

• If you post certified copies of documents to us, we may not return them to you unless you specifically request this at the time of lodging and include a return postal address.
  • Ensure you understand who can certify original copies and your requirements when your documents are in a language other than English.

So, in order to add the associates' details to the registration for an ABN, first photocopy their proof of identity documents, and then take the originals and the copies to a certifier (see this link Copies of Documents - applicants outside Australia to check who can certify), who will stamp the copies to certify them - to say that they are the same as the originals. If the original documents are in a language other than English, you must also arrange for documents in another language to be translated into English and certified as a true and correct copy by an authorised translation service (also see the above link for authorise translation services). Then, send the certified copies to the Australian Taxation Office (ATO). The ATO will not ordinarily return these certified copies to you, unless you specifically request at the time of lodging and if you have also included a return postal address.

To save delays, when you mail the documents to us, include the name of the non-resident entity and the ABN application reference number.

I hope this will assist you