Announcements
Worried you’re missing part of your refund? Remember, the low and middle income tax offset isn’t a refund on its own – it’s used to offset (or reduce) the amount of tax you pay. The offset amount you may be entitled to is automatically applied and could range between $255-$1080, depending on things like your taxable income and how much tax you’ve paid.
Still not sure? Ask the Community

ATO Community

Re: ABN

Enthusiast

Views 80

Replies 3

Hi,

If I have two different business structures (company & Trust) and they involved in different businesses (Pest control & cleaning) ,

can I have both businesses under one ABN if they both registered for GST?

Will this different if one registered for GST and the other one not?

Please explain.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 2

Hiya @Prasa1,

You can run two different enterprises under one ABN. If the ABN is registered for GST, both of the enterprises are registered for GST. You can't have them under the same ABN and have one operating with GST and one without. The Australian Business Register answers this question in their ABN basics FAQ page.

3 REPLIES 3

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 2

Hiya @Prasa1,

You can run two different enterprises under one ABN. If the ABN is registered for GST, both of the enterprises are registered for GST. You can't have them under the same ABN and have one operating with GST and one without. The Australian Business Register answers this question in their ABN basics FAQ page.

Enthusiast

Replies 1

Thank you very much.

I already checked that link, but wasn’t sure what it meant by “same business structure”.

So it's not the company structure (company, partnership, trust..etc), it's about GST?

Can I use the same ABN for more than one business?

You can conduct any number of businesses/activities under the same ABN provided they all operate under the same business structure. If your second or subsequent business operates under a different structure, you need to apply for separate ABNs for each new business structure.

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hiya @Prasa1,

When we say "the same business structure," it means you can't have a company structure trading under a partnership ABN. If you were to run both of your businesses under the one ABN, one of them would have to be restructured. So both of them are running as a company, or both of them as the trust.