Announcements
We’re in read-only mode while we do some scheduled maintenance to bring you a bigger, better and brighter online community.
You can still search the site to find answers or take a look at our current top 10 questions.

ATO Community

Re: Business Portal - how to change registered office address?

Initiate

Views 3298

Replies 10

When I log into the Business Portal and go to "Business Registration Details" it has an old address for "Registered Office Address".

How do I update this? 

The address shown under "Registered Office Address" doesn't appear when I go to change the postal address or business address (they have our new address). The old address isn't in the ASIC register (was changed years ago). It isn't in the ABR (was changed years ago). I can't think where else it would be. The  "Registered Office Address" was correct 5 years ago but it hasn't been updated.

I tried sending the ATO a message from the Business Portal asking how to change it. I asked:

"The ATO website says our registered address is xxx xx xxx xxx. We changed this back in 2015 with ASIC and I can't see any way to change it online with the ATO via the Business Portal. How do we get it updated?"

8 days later I got a reply (direct quote):

"As ASIC and ATO does not share information our records shows the previous address.to update address with us you can send us correspondence or visit ATO online service to update your details. Thank for using ATO online services"

That's a pretty poor answer - lacking in grammar, capitalisation and punctuation. Oh, and it doesn't address my question at all. So a total waste of time.

So I asked:

"Where in the business portal do I change the registered address? I looked at all the options and everything I could change had the correct address. How do I send you corespondance to change the registered address from xxxxx to xxxxx?"

After waiting another 6 days I get the reply:

"Hi, unfortunately as you are not authorised on this account I'm unable to provide you with any details I suggest you get the authorised contact to give us a call back, thankyou for using the ATO online services."

So unhelpful, again.

I'm the sole director and company secretary - if I'm not authorised to act on this account who is? Why can I access it via the Business Portal if I'm not authorised? And why can I change lots of things (postal address, bank account details, etc, etc, etc) in the Business Portal?

So now I'm back where I started except frustrated and confused.

How do I update the "Registered Business Address" in the Business Portal?

How do I become "authorised" on the account? (since aparently as the sole director I am not authorised).

Why are the people answering the Business Portal messages so useless at answering questions? Why are they so bad at grammar, spelling and punctuation? Are the two related?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 7

Hi @lovemakingstuff 

Thanks for reaching out to the community.

The Registered Business (Registered Office) Address can no longer be updated on our systems. This address type is maintained by ASIC and even though they have your correct information they don't share updates with us. This is why you see a very old address.

Sorry for the frustration and confusion caused. If you would like to provide us with feedback or make a complaint, you will find the relevant information on our website.

Ari

10 REPLIES 10

Community Moderator

Replies 1

Hi @lovemakingstuff 

Completely understand your frustration with this. We will contact the area on Monday and provide you with an update.

Initiate

Replies 0

The crazyness continues - I've since received a few more replies telling me that 

- ooops we made a mistake, you are authorised

- we've changed the address (twice)

except that the address hasn't changed... I've sent them screenshots to show them it hasn't changed and I get an email back a few hours later telling me it's done again (and it's not).

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 7

Hi @lovemakingstuff 

Thanks for reaching out to the community.

The Registered Business (Registered Office) Address can no longer be updated on our systems. This address type is maintained by ASIC and even though they have your correct information they don't share updates with us. This is why you see a very old address.

Sorry for the frustration and confusion caused. If you would like to provide us with feedback or make a complaint, you will find the relevant information on our website.

Ari

Initiate

Replies 0

If it can't be updated then it may not be correct.

Why on earth do you keep showing it? Why don't you just remove it from the Business Portal so I can't see it?

Initiate

Replies 5

Hello Ari,

I have been trying to fix my company address for 6 years.

For me, the address shown IS NOT the original place of registration. 

My company was registered December 2007 and has resided at four addreses.  The address listed in the ATO portal is the second of these addresses.   In 2014 I contacted both ATO and ASIC with no success.  They cannot see evidence of the old address in the current records. My accountant is on the case and advising they are not able to change it.  I believe we just need to fix the ATO side: Principle Place of Business and Registered Office.

Having worked in IT for over 40 years, I feel there is an old bit of data sitting in ATO systems not being correctly updated.    I'd be happy to assist identifying if this is a faulty data feed from ASIC or a problem with data mapping at ATO.   Please contact me anytime. mailtoSmiley Tongueaul.white@shift7solutions.com.au 

Cheers

Paul

Former Community Support

Replies 4

Hi @PaulWhite

Thanks for your question. Registered office addresses are not maintained by the ATO. ASIC does maintain the Registered business address, ASIC also does not share updates with us. Historical details held by the ATO are also not updated.

Thank you and have a nice day!

Initiate

Replies 3

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for your interest.

For insight into the history of the problem please look at :

https://www.taxinstitute.com.au/news/on-change-of-registered-office-the-ato-responds 

FYI, I contacted ATO Jun2014 and Jul2016.  On the last occasion, (Reference Number: 95288648), the ATO Support team member explained the data comes from ASIC and that ATO are not able to change it. When I contacted ASIC on each of those occasions, customer service said the current address information was correct, the old addresses are in the system are stored for historical purposes.

Are you able to escalate the issue to your IT integrations team? The data was refreshed at one time in the past, capturing an old address. 

I cant think why ATO would tolerate an incorrect address. ATO specify address changes are to be notified withing within 28 days here:  Update your details.  Other companies are experiencing the same problem.   I've followed correct procedure with ASIC, ABR and ATO.  This ATO page is really helpful    All organisations have confirmed change of address and (as far as I can tell) documentation arrives at the new address.  But ATO continues to display old data in the "Registered office address" fields.  I am afraid there will be a muddle and the old address will be distributed elsewhere or used for important correspondence. 

Thanks

Paul

Initiate

Replies 2

Paul I share in your outrage. I think it's a huge sign of incompetance that they show data that is wrong and can't be changed. But I also think you are wasting your time - they aren't going to change it. I found other people mentioning it back in 2015.

Initiate

Replies 1

Hi all,

I made an enquiry through my local MP and a short time later, received phone call from a helpful and understanding staff member of ATO Digital Delivery Solutions who confirmed the errant address is coming from an old ATO system.   Here is an excerpt from the followup letter:

Due to the age of the ATO business portal, it is returning an address from an old ATO system that is no longer maintained.  Hence the issue around trying to get it updated.

We are in the process of replacing the business portal with a new online service for businesses early next year.  This is currently in a private beta phase but should become available to all users in late January/February next year.   I can confirm that the new online services platform for business will not display this out of date address.

I think perhaps there are not too many organisations in this situation, so we will have to wait until next year.

Paul