Announcements
COVID-19 update: We expect to publish updates on the JobKeeper payment soon. For other questions, check out the COVID-19 board.

ATO Community

Do I have to use an ABN to trade stocks?

Highlighted

Initiate

Views 1524

Replies 2

The brokers don't need to see one, do I still actually need it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Revan,

Thanks for your question!

Generally speaking, whether you need an ABN will depend on the nature of your activities and whether you're considered to be holding shares as an investor or carrying on a business as a share trader, regardless if the broker needs to see an ABN or not.

@taseer has provided a very useful link to information on our website. If you need to work out if you're entitled to an ABN you can use our entitled to ABN tool on our website. Alternatively, if you have further questions you can phone us on 13 28 61 between 8am - 6pm, Monday to Friday to speak with an operator.

Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

Replies 0

https://www.ato.gov.au/General/Capital-gains-tax/Shares,-units-and-similar-investments/Shareholding-...

Please read the above article by ATO. I hope it will clearify your question  

By Hiwin Accountants

Registered Tax Agent

www.fastonlinetaxreturn.com.au

Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Revan,

Thanks for your question!

Generally speaking, whether you need an ABN will depend on the nature of your activities and whether you're considered to be holding shares as an investor or carrying on a business as a share trader, regardless if the broker needs to see an ABN or not.

@taseer has provided a very useful link to information on our website. If you need to work out if you're entitled to an ABN you can use our entitled to ABN tool on our website. Alternatively, if you have further questions you can phone us on 13 28 61 between 8am - 6pm, Monday to Friday to speak with an operator.

Thanks.