ATO Community

How to make ATO stop asking for BAS?

Views 384

Replies 3

I closed a sole trader business more than one year ago, but ATO is still sending me reminders to file my BAS and the business is still linked to my MyGovID (even though I tried to get it removed during a phone call). How can I make this go away?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @AlteredEgo,

Welcome to community.

The only reason we would continue sending you BAS letters is if either:

• you haven’t cancelled ABN completely along with any roles you may have had such as GST or,
  • If you have cancelled your ABN and roles, there may be some BAS lodgements that are still outstanding against that ABN when it was active.

The quickest way to stop BAS letters coming to you is calling us on our Business enquiries line.

You will be asked some questions to pass a proof of identity check though once that has been accepted the operator can access your record and cancel any ABN obligations you no longer require.

If you find the ABN itself has not yet been cancelled, its always best to cancel it from the date you no longer required.
For example, if you stopped using the ABN on 01/11/2019 then ask the operator to end date your ABN from that date, not today.

Good luck with everything Smiley Happy

3 REPLIES 3

Devotee

Replies 2

Cancel ABN 

Replies 1

Thanks. The catch is that I don't see the entity in Business Portal, so there's no way to trigger the cancellation workflow.

Anyway, I've e-mailed ATO for advice, so I should know soon.

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @AlteredEgo,

Welcome to community.

The only reason we would continue sending you BAS letters is if either:

• you haven’t cancelled ABN completely along with any roles you may have had such as GST or,
  • If you have cancelled your ABN and roles, there may be some BAS lodgements that are still outstanding against that ABN when it was active.

The quickest way to stop BAS letters coming to you is calling us on our Business enquiries line.

You will be asked some questions to pass a proof of identity check though once that has been accepted the operator can access your record and cancel any ABN obligations you no longer require.

If you find the ABN itself has not yet been cancelled, its always best to cancel it from the date you no longer required.
For example, if you stopped using the ABN on 01/11/2019 then ask the operator to end date your ABN from that date, not today.

Good luck with everything Smiley Happy