Announcements
What's the right super fund for you? Although super may not be on the top of your list now, keeping track of your super can help maximise your savings for when you retire. Try out the new YourSuper comparison tool and choose a super fund that meets your needs. Still got questions about super? Ask the Community

ATO Community

Re: How to set up a business portal account

Views 377

Replies 4

Hi, my husband has a small business and I would like to set up a business portal account for him so that I can lodge his quarterly BAS. Can you please send directions on how to register the account.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @RebeccaN,

Pleasure! Smiley Happy

Your husband needs to set up his own MyGovID on his smart device first. As a sole trader, he will be the 'Principal Authority' for the business so he has to link the business on RAM first.

RAM matches the address information from Australian Business Register (ABR). So, the residential address has to be up to date on the ABR. You can update the ABR information either through a tax agent or by contacting ABR since you don't have online access yet.

Once he has done that, he can give you an authority to work on behalf of the business through RAM which lets you access the Business Portal to lodge Activity Statement using your own MyGovID.

Have a look on the RAM website for setting up authorisations instructions. You can also see ABR website for conatct information.

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4

Enthusiast

Replies 0

Does your husband have an ABN?

Does your husband get an error message when trying to access the business portal?  https://bp.ato.gov.au/businessportal/?identityprovider=mygovid_beta

Former Community Support

Replies 2

Hi @RebeccaN,

To access business portal, you will need to use MyGovID to establish identity and then Relationship Authorisation Manager (RAM) service to link the business to your MyGovID.

MyGovID is an app you can download to your smart device from the Apple App Store or Google Play. You will need to verify two of the available Australian identity documents there to achieve a Standard identify strength.

Once that’s setup, you can log into RAM to link the business to your MyGovID. This will complete the process for you to get access to the Business Portal which you can use to lodge your Activity Statements.

Also, soon the Business Portal is being replaced by Online services for business which can be accessed by same MyGovID and the linked business with RAM. This new service is more streamlined and contemporary and is in a public trial phase now.

See accessing online services with myGovID and RAM and MyGovID on our website for detailed instructions for the process. You can log into Relationship Authorisation Manager (RAM) site to the linking process.

Also, see and Online services for business for more information.

Hope this helps!

Replies 1

Thanks for the quick reply!

I have set up MyGovID and have logged into RAM. 

I have tried to link a new business and enter my residential address, but I am getting a message that no eligible business have been found. Would this be because my husband is a sole trader? Would I need to set up MyGovID for him instead of myself?

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @RebeccaN,

Pleasure! Smiley Happy

Your husband needs to set up his own MyGovID on his smart device first. As a sole trader, he will be the 'Principal Authority' for the business so he has to link the business on RAM first.

RAM matches the address information from Australian Business Register (ABR). So, the residential address has to be up to date on the ABR. You can update the ABR information either through a tax agent or by contacting ABR since you don't have online access yet.

Once he has done that, he can give you an authority to work on behalf of the business through RAM which lets you access the Business Portal to lodge Activity Statement using your own MyGovID.

Have a look on the RAM website for setting up authorisations instructions. You can also see ABR website for conatct information.

Thanks!