Announcements
Have you sold crypto, shares or property? Our new capital gains tax guide has info about cost bases, calculations & more! Still got questions? Ask the Community!

ATO Community

When will we be able to change email address with MygovID? i

Views 744

Replies 4

When will we be able to change email address with myGovid?
My prior accounting firm made employees set up myGovid using work email addresses because of security. At this time there was no advice from the ato that emails used should be personal ones.
Now I have changed employers and no longer have access to my email. I need to change phones as my current one is having issues. I don’t have two further identification documents to set up a new account. What am I supposed to do? I need access to the portal to be able to do my job properly. The ATO forced us onto this new platform, without it being set us correctly. We keep getting told that functionality will be updated in the future, but no time frame can be given. This isn’t good enough, I need to know when will this happen?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @BridgetteJ 

Since our original answer, we’ve listened to your feedback and improvements have been rolled out for myGovID.

You can now change the email address connected to your myGovID. How you update this will depend on your situation.

If you have access to your myGovID still:

• Select My identity
  • Select Update email
  • Enter the email address you wish to use and select Get code
  • Input the code on your myGovID to confirm the change.

However, if you no longer have access to your myGovID account and the email address it’s connected to, you’ll need to contact our support line. Don’t try to set up a new account with your preferred email, as you’ll lock both those identity documents and email address to a separate second account.

4 REPLIES 4

Devotee

Replies 1

So you've still got access to the app but you want to get a new phone? I know it's annoying but can you keep that phone just for myGovid? otehrwise you might need to call their support line and tell them you don't have access to your email or phone anymore. 

I agree that it's a much needed feature that they say will be coming soon but they are quite clear on the myGovid website: As it's your personal digital identity, you should set up your myGovID using a personal email address. It should not be a shared or work email address.

Replies 0

Unfortunately my current phone is on its last legs. I will have to keep it alive for as long as I can.
I have called the ato support line- they have said that they can’t do anything.

Unfortunately back when the ATO forced us to move over to myGovid, there was no advise from the ATO about which email to use. We searched endlessly for this information. The firm I was in at the time wanted to use I house emails because of potential security breaches on private emails. That firm wasn’t alone on this.

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @BridgetteJ 

Sorry for your angst, for sure it is annoying.You can have a myGovID set up on multiple devices however it requires the same ID documents and email of the original set. This may not be practical if you have no access to that email at all. These are currently the ID documents available to use in setting up myGovID

• have two of the five Australian identity documents

• Driver's licence

• Medicare card

• Birth certificate

• Visa or New Zealand passport

• Passport

• if the name is different across identity documents, have either a marriage certificate or change of name document to add

• have an email address belonging to the client (not a shared email), and

If this offers you two other ID documents from the ones originially you will be able to establish it with a new email. Have a look at Need Help? for updated work arounds.

It also offers a support contact number for myGovID that may be able to offer further insights.

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @BridgetteJ 

Since our original answer, we’ve listened to your feedback and improvements have been rolled out for myGovID.

You can now change the email address connected to your myGovID. How you update this will depend on your situation.

If you have access to your myGovID still:

• Select My identity
  • Select Update email
  • Enter the email address you wish to use and select Get code
  • Input the code on your myGovID to confirm the change.

However, if you no longer have access to your myGovID account and the email address it’s connected to, you’ll need to contact our support line. Don’t try to set up a new account with your preferred email, as you’ll lock both those identity documents and email address to a separate second account.