Announcements
On 7 August 2020 the government proposed further changes to the JobKeeper extension. For more information, visit the Treasury website.

ATO Community

Re: Claim GST paid for expenses before registration of GST.

Highlighted

Views 775

Replies 1

Hello,

I bought equipment for my business a week ago and just got my ABN today. I haven't registered for GST. I am not sure if i can claim GST paid before registration of GST.

I read about pre-establishment costs in ATO website in this link "Special rules for specific GST credit claims ", but that section is about company, not for sole trader.

Could you please let me know if I can claim GST i paid before registration of GST.

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Tank,

Thanks for your question!

In order to claim GST for any costs for your business, those costs must be incurred on or after your GST registration date, and your GST registration date cannot occur prior to your ABN registration date. This means if your ABN was registered effective 30/09, your GST registration would have to commence from the same date.

You can find out more about registering for GST here and claiming GST credits on purchases here.

I hope this helps, but please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Rachael B.

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Tank,

Thanks for your question!

In order to claim GST for any costs for your business, those costs must be incurred on or after your GST registration date, and your GST registration date cannot occur prior to your ABN registration date. This means if your ABN was registered effective 30/09, your GST registration would have to commence from the same date.

You can find out more about registering for GST here and claiming GST credits on purchases here.

I hope this helps, but please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Rachael B.