ATO Community

Re: Do I need an ABD number if my GST turnover worldwide is over $75000 or just within Australia?

I'm new

Views 108

Replies 1

Hello, 

I hope you are all well. I am the owner of US-based company and we would like to expand to Amazon Australia. However, I was told that if the business has an annual GST turnover of over $75000, they must get an ABN number. What was not clear, however, was whether we needed an ABN if our annual GST turnover was over the $75000 the threshold worldwide or just within Australia. If it's just for Australia, then we don't currently cross that threshold so can we proceed without an ABN or any other sort of tax number?

I look forward to your reply. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @abdeez

The $75,000 threshold for GST turnover doesn't include income not connect with Australia. You can read more about when to register for GST on our website. That link should explain all the factors that contribute to the threshold for GST registration. 

However, even though you may not be required to register for GST you may still need an ABN. Without knowing everything about your business I can't give you a definite answer as to whether you require an ABN or not. I'll provide some links below that would be worth reading up on and should give you a bit more info on your tax obligations in Australia.

Links:

- Foreign residents doing business in Australia

- International tax for business

- Tax on income and capital gains

- Australian business number (ABN) for non-residents

Hope this helps, let us know if you have any further questions. 

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @abdeez

The $75,000 threshold for GST turnover doesn't include income not connect with Australia. You can read more about when to register for GST on our website. That link should explain all the factors that contribute to the threshold for GST registration. 

However, even though you may not be required to register for GST you may still need an ABN. Without knowing everything about your business I can't give you a definite answer as to whether you require an ABN or not. I'll provide some links below that would be worth reading up on and should give you a bit more info on your tax obligations in Australia.

Links:

- Foreign residents doing business in Australia

- International tax for business

- Tax on income and capital gains

- Australian business number (ABN) for non-residents

Hope this helps, let us know if you have any further questions.