Announcements
We’re doing scheduled maintenance on ATO Community to bring you a bigger, better and brighter online community.
You may see us go into read-only mode over the weekend while we do this. Don’t worry! You’ll still be able to search the site to find your answers.

ATO Community

Re: Do I register for GST if my ABN activity will cease within 6 months?

Initiate

Views 135

Replies 2

If I tally up all of my sole trader ABN income for the past 11 months plus current month of June 2021 (including JobKeeper payments during late 2020) I sit just over the $75,000 GST threshold for the first time. I expect to remain just over this threshold until December - my monthly income will be consistent until then.

However I am planning to cease all activity with my ABN in January 2022 to pursue a different career path as a regular employee, so I "project" my GST turnover for June 2021 plus the next 11 months to be well below the $75,000 threshold (since, beyond January, my ABN income will drop to $0).

THE BIG QUESTION: Do I need to register for and charge any GST now, or over the coming months before I cease work in January? My interpretation of the ATO information is that since my projected GST turnover is below $75,000, GST registration is not required.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 1

Hiya @bowerbird-au,

You are right. If your projected turnover is under $75 thousand, you don't need to register. Also, JobKeeper is not considered part of your GST turnover.

2 REPLIES 2

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 1

Hiya @bowerbird-au,

You are right. If your projected turnover is under $75 thousand, you don't need to register. Also, JobKeeper is not considered part of your GST turnover.

Initiate

Replies 0

Thank you for a prompt and accurate reply Smiley Happy Have a nice day!