Announcements
Have you sold crypto, shares or property? Our new capital gains tax guide has info about cost bases, calculations & more! Still got questions? Ask the Community!

ATO Community

Re: Early tax return outside Australia

Views 289

Replies 5

Hi everyone

I've looking for answers over the internet, but nothing. Any help would be much appreciated

My and my partner were living in Australia for 5 years and we moved back to the UK on the 21st of March 2021. This financial year we had income as freelancers and we also were employees for 4 months. Once here in the UK we realized that we could have lodged an early tax return in Australia, while we still were residents for tax purposes, therefore enjoying the benefits like the free-tax threshold. Is it possible to lodge the application from outside Australia and because when we earned all our income still apply as a resident for tax purposes?

Even if we can't lodge the early tax return, could we still lodge a normal application at the beginning of the next financial year, and still apply as a resident for tax purposes?  

Thank you so much for anyone that can help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

ATO Community Support

Replies 4

Hi @lucascumsille

Yep you can lodge that now and there shouldn't be any issues. We have a detailed guide on our website on how to lodge your tax return early

As for the residency question, you will be treated as a foreign resident for tax purposes from the date you depart Australia (given you intend to leave permanently). This won't change you lodging your tax return as you were a resident for tax purposes up until you departed. 

Hope this helps, let us know if you have any further questions. 

5 REPLIES 5

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

ATO Community Support

Replies 4

Hi @lucascumsille

Yep you can lodge that now and there shouldn't be any issues. We have a detailed guide on our website on how to lodge your tax return early

As for the residency question, you will be treated as a foreign resident for tax purposes from the date you depart Australia (given you intend to leave permanently). This won't change you lodging your tax return as you were a resident for tax purposes up until you departed. 

Hope this helps, let us know if you have any further questions. 

Replies 0

Replies 2

Thank you so much, Ethan!

So basically when lodging the early tax return could I still put that I was a resident for tax purpose? because for the period of time I'm lodging I was a resident.

Thank you so much for your help

ATO Community Support

Replies 1

Hi @lucascumsille,

That is correct, for the period you were a resident for tax purposes, you can still reflect this when lodging your return. It will ask if you were a resident for the full year, if you select No you can enter the dates that you were a resident. 

All the best.

Replies 0

Thank you so much, Jodie! That helped me a lot =)