ATO Community

Foreign Employment Income

Initiate

Views 1106

Replies 1

Hi All,

I am confused in regards of the tax on employment income. If said, i am an Australia PR, but due to work commiment, the company send me back to my home country for three years project. And due to these, my family and i moved back to the home country. The tricky part is, the company continue to pay my salary into my Australia Bank account.

So, first part i am confusing is: as i have provided my services in oversea, do my income subject to "Autralia Tax"?

Second part, even my income will subject to Australia Tax, so will i consider as "tax Resident" or "Non- Tax resident", as my family members has actually followed me back home and lives, neither we having any property in Australia. 

Any helps wiill be much appreciated!

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @GraceT

Thanks for getting in touch!

If you're earning income from an Australian company and being paid into an Australian bank account, you'll need to declare this income in a tax return at the end of the financial year. The amount of tax you're required to pay will depend on your residency status. 

As we don't know all the details about your situation we can't advise if you're a resident or non-resident of Australia for tax purposes. Your residency status is determined using a number of factors, so to help you work it out you can use our Are you a resident decision tool and find general information about residency on our website

If you still need help working out your residency status, you can write to us to request a private ruling. Private rulings are binding advice from us that explains our view on how tax law applies to your specific situation. These rulings are a free service, and we usually respond within 28 days from receiving your request.

Thanks, JodieH 

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @GraceT

Thanks for getting in touch!

If you're earning income from an Australian company and being paid into an Australian bank account, you'll need to declare this income in a tax return at the end of the financial year. The amount of tax you're required to pay will depend on your residency status. 

As we don't know all the details about your situation we can't advise if you're a resident or non-resident of Australia for tax purposes. Your residency status is determined using a number of factors, so to help you work it out you can use our Are you a resident decision tool and find general information about residency on our website

If you still need help working out your residency status, you can write to us to request a private ruling. Private rulings are binding advice from us that explains our view on how tax law applies to your specific situation. These rulings are a free service, and we usually respond within 28 days from receiving your request.

Thanks, JodieH