Announcements
We understand that 2020 has been a difficult year but we're here to try and make it a little easier for you during tax time. You can search other people's posts, read our articles or ask your own question.

ATO Community

GST Refund to Individuals

Highlighted

I'm new

Views 2063

Replies 2

Good afternoon. I just have a question about how long GST refund can be delivered to my bank account. I asked for GST refund on 19 June 2017 in the Brisbane Airport. Because the GST refund office was closed at the time I entered into the airport (it was at early morning), I had to put my tax invoice and application form into an envelop. However, until today (1 August 2017) I still have not received my GST refund from the ATO. Moreover, it seems to me that I cannot trace the GST refund procedure. Thus, would anyone like to tell me how long GST refund can be delivered to bank account or where I can know whether my GST refund has been processed or not.

Thank you! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Devotee

Replies 0

Hi @ZHONG,

Thanks for joining our Community!

It sounds as though you've requested a refund under the Department of Immigration and Border Protection's (DIBP) Tourist refund scheme (TRS). We have some information about GST-free sales and the Tourist refund scheme on our website, but it's best to contact DIBP directly to follow up on the progress of your refund.

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

Devotee

Replies 0

Hi Zhong

I believe you are referring to the Tourist refund scheme.

https://www.ato.gov.au/business/gst/in-detail/your-industry/travel-and-tourism/gst-free-sales-to-tra...

And it claiming your GST is administered by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) and its operational arm the Australian Border Force (ABF). 

Take a look at:

https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Ente/Tour/Are-you-a-traveller

Please note this is my personal view; I’m an ATO employee who chooses to help out here in my own time.
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Devotee

Replies 0

Hi @ZHONG,

Thanks for joining our Community!

It sounds as though you've requested a refund under the Department of Immigration and Border Protection's (DIBP) Tourist refund scheme (TRS). We have some information about GST-free sales and the Tourist refund scheme on our website, but it's best to contact DIBP directly to follow up on the progress of your refund.

Thanks!