Announcements
COVID-19 update: We’ve published information on the Jobkeeper payment, early access to super, and cash boost for businesses and employers. You can also check out the COVID-19 board.

ATO Community

GST Refund to Individuals

I'm new

Views 1844

Replies 2

Good afternoon. I just have a question about how long GST refund can be delivered to my bank account. I asked for GST refund on 19 June 2017 in the Brisbane Airport. Because the GST refund office was closed at the time I entered into the airport (it was at early morning), I had to put my tax invoice and application form into an envelop. However, until today (1 August 2017) I still have not received my GST refund from the ATO. Moreover, it seems to me that I cannot trace the GST refund procedure. Thus, would anyone like to tell me how long GST refund can be delivered to bank account or where I can know whether my GST refund has been processed or not.

Thank you! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Devotee

Replies 0

Hi @ZHONG,

Thanks for joining our Community!

It sounds as though you've requested a refund under the Department of Immigration and Border Protection's (DIBP) Tourist refund scheme (TRS). We have some information about GST-free sales and the Tourist refund scheme on our website, but it's best to contact DIBP directly to follow up on the progress of your refund.

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

Devotee

Replies 0

Hi Zhong

I believe you are referring to the Tourist refund scheme.

https://www.ato.gov.au/business/gst/in-detail/your-industry/travel-and-tourism/gst-free-sales-to-tra...

And it claiming your GST is administered by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) and its operational arm the Australian Border Force (ABF). 

Take a look at:

https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Ente/Tour/Are-you-a-traveller

Please note this is my personal view; I’m an ATO employee who chooses to help out here in my own time.
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Devotee

Replies 0

Hi @ZHONG,

Thanks for joining our Community!

It sounds as though you've requested a refund under the Department of Immigration and Border Protection's (DIBP) Tourist refund scheme (TRS). We have some information about GST-free sales and the Tourist refund scheme on our website, but it's best to contact DIBP directly to follow up on the progress of your refund.

Thanks!