Announcements
Looking for information on the JobKeeper extension? Watch the video in our latest news article.

ATO Community

GST for medical equipments

Highlighted

Initiate

Views 313

Replies 2

Hi team, I have purchased a few medical equipments for work and it is general tools (e.g. reflex hammer, goniometer). I noted that most companies charged GST (which is what I expected); however, there was one company that didn't charge GST in the Tax Invoice (i.e. "GST included: $ 0.00"). For book keeping purpose I looked it up on ABN lookup and the company was registered with GST for years and seems to be currently registered as well (and hence "Tax Invoice").

Can any body able to explain to me the discrepancy? I looked up the same equipment in other suppliers and they all seem to be charging GST. I am confused why one charges and other doesn't? I understand some medical aids are GST-free when dispensing to patients, but this is a health provider purchasing a simple diagnostic tool designed for everyone (not made for a specific individual) and it is not dispensed or sold to the patient.

Also do I need to do anything?

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Community Support

Replies 1

Hi @jorange ,

You are correct - businesses should be charging GST if they are registered for it - see GST registration . I would encourage you to report illegal activity or behaviour of concern, you can make a tip-off.

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Community Support

Replies 1

Hi @jorange ,

You are correct - businesses should be charging GST if they are registered for it - see GST registration . I would encourage you to report illegal activity or behaviour of concern, you can make a tip-off.

Highlighted

Initiate

Replies 0

Thanks for the reply. Now I feel more confident, I will talk to the supplier first and see if they made any mistake or invoicing program error.