Announcements
Read our answers to common questions about JobKeeper, Early release of super and Cash flow boost.

ATO Community

If a parent company transfers assets to a wholly owned subsidiary, will it need to pay CGT?

Highlighted

Views 387

Replies 2

I'm considering setting up a company; however, I'm also thinking ahead into the future when I want to set up a dual-company structure. If i set up a holding company today that owns CGT assets (e.g. real estate) and I eventually decide to set up another company as a subsidiary wholly owned by the parent company, will I need to pay CGT if I transfer the CGT asset from the holding company to the subsidiary?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Replies 0

Hi @tsla,

Have a look at TR 2004/11 specifically paras 8 and 9 which answer your question.

Dealings that are solely between members of the same consolidated group (intra-group dealings) will not result in ordinary or statutory income or a deduction to the group’s head company.

An example of an intra-group dealing is the transfer of a capital gains tax (CGT) asset from one group member to another. This transfer is not treated for income tax purposes as a disposal or acquisition in the hands of the head company.

Hope this helps. Thanks, NateH

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

Replies 0

Hi @tsla,

We are going to check on this and get back to you with a response soon.

Thanks, NateH

Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Replies 0

Hi @tsla,

Have a look at TR 2004/11 specifically paras 8 and 9 which answer your question.

Dealings that are solely between members of the same consolidated group (intra-group dealings) will not result in ordinary or statutory income or a deduction to the group’s head company.

An example of an intra-group dealing is the transfer of a capital gains tax (CGT) asset from one group member to another. This transfer is not treated for income tax purposes as a disposal or acquisition in the hands of the head company.

Hope this helps. Thanks, NateH