• 481 Online
  • 22066 Members
  • 24643 Posts

ATO Community

Re: Import gst

Ask a question

Views 11

Replies 1

My business has just registered for GST and most of my goods are from overseas. One of my overseas supplier is not GST registered. I am about to make a purchase of goods total value more than $1000. My question is will Australia custom charge GST on this goods even thought i provide my GST registered ABN? What if the value is lower than $1000? I've tried to find more info from ato website but i am still confused.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

TaxTime Support

Replies 0

Hi @orga,

Thanks for your questions!

GST is payable on most goods imported into Australia, whether imported by a business, organisation or private individual, regardless of their GST registration status. Generally, the GST is payable before the goods are released by Home Affairs.

If you are a GST registered business and you import goods as part of your activities, then you may be able to claim a GST credit for any GST you pay on those goods.

If the goods are valued at less than $1,000, then they may be classified as non-taxable importations, but if you import them with the intention of on-selling them within Australia, then they will likely be classified as a taxable supply and you will still pay GST on those goods. You should see our guide on low value imported goods for more information.

You can also view our GST guide for consumers, which may be a little bit easier for you to understand.

I hope this helps, but please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Rachael B.

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

TaxTime Support

Replies 0

Hi @orga,

Thanks for your questions!

GST is payable on most goods imported into Australia, whether imported by a business, organisation or private individual, regardless of their GST registration status. Generally, the GST is payable before the goods are released by Home Affairs.

If you are a GST registered business and you import goods as part of your activities, then you may be able to claim a GST credit for any GST you pay on those goods.

If the goods are valued at less than $1,000, then they may be classified as non-taxable importations, but if you import them with the intention of on-selling them within Australia, then they will likely be classified as a taxable supply and you will still pay GST on those goods. You should see our guide on low value imported goods for more information.

You can also view our GST guide for consumers, which may be a little bit easier for you to understand.

I hope this helps, but please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Rachael B.

Top Solution Authors