Announcements
We understand 2020 has been difficult and we're here to try and make it easier during tax time. Search posts, read articles or ask a question.

ATO Community

Re: Instant asset write-off and business use

Highlighted

Views 141

Replies 3

Hi 

I am a sole trader and have a question about instant asset-write off and assessing business use. In particular, if I buy something in late June (already the 11th today!), do I still keep some kind of records for business use? For example a computer.

Is it just how much is used for business during 2019-2020 financial year? Does it matter how it gets used in 2020-2021 financial year or later?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

Devotee

Replies 2

You need to be able to reasonably apportion the percentage used for business and the percentage used for personal. Generally you need to keep a log for 12 weeks to calculate the rate. You can then use that rate and your records to substantiate claims for the business portion of the purchase cost
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Best answer

Devotee

Replies 2

You need to be able to reasonably apportion the percentage used for business and the percentage used for personal. Generally you need to keep a log for 12 weeks to calculate the rate. You can then use that rate and your records to substantiate claims for the business portion of the purchase cost
Highlighted

Replies 1

Thanks. Although I'm wondering how you keep a 12 week record if you buy something in June, and there is only 1 or 2 weeks left before EOFY?

Highlighted

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @atoj1

Thanks @Biggiesmalls for sure reasonably apportion is key. If you haven't seen it already check out Business vs private and Instant asset write-off. Its context should prove helpful.

MarkATO