Announcements
On 21 July the government announced proposed changes to the JobKeeper program. These changes don’t affect Jobkeeper payments until after 28 September 2020.

ATO Community

Interest on loan

Highlighted

Initiate

Views 591

Replies 4

Hi Team,

Last year my husband purchased a business with money that we borrowed against our house - can we claim the interest payments in any way?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

Taxicorn

Replies 1

@Kellie 

They are the same thing, one tax return covers Personal and Business.

The interest would fall under a business expense.

He can claim all of the interest.

For related taxpayers, such as husband and wife, the ATO ordinarily treats these situations as not involving such a difference. See paragraph 41 of TR 93-32. There could be circumstances where such a difference can occur for related taxpayers, but merely having a joint loan is not treated by the ATO as falling outside that general rule.  

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted

Taxicorn

Replies 3

@Kellie 

You can claim the business use of the loan's interest.

So if 100% was for the business, then 100% can be claimed.

https://www.ato.gov.au/Business/Income-and-deductions-for-business/

Highlighted

Initiate

Replies 2

Ok great thanks for your reply - And would we claim that on our individual tax returns or on the business tax return?

Highlighted

Best answer

Taxicorn

Replies 1

@Kellie 

They are the same thing, one tax return covers Personal and Business.

The interest would fall under a business expense.

He can claim all of the interest.

For related taxpayers, such as husband and wife, the ATO ordinarily treats these situations as not involving such a difference. See paragraph 41 of TR 93-32. There could be circumstances where such a difference can occur for related taxpayers, but merely having a joint loan is not treated by the ATO as falling outside that general rule.  

Highlighted

Initiate

Replies 0

Ok thanks very much for the info. I will pass this on to my husband as well and let you know if we have any further questions.

Cheers!