Announcements
Looking for information on the JobKeeper extension? Check out our answers to common questions the community has been asking.

ATO Community

Is Shopify an Electronic Distribution Platform for GST purposes on low value imports ?

Highlighted

Views 141

Replies 1

Hi,

the answer to my question appears to be very elusive when searching online, even on Shopify's FAQ.

That is, im about to embark on a shopify store and sell to australians, and i already know that i wont be registering for GST initially as i wont likely get to the $75k threshold straight away.

My question rather relates to the fact that from 1-7-2018 GST is to be charged on imports sold in australia up to $1,000 in value, ie low value imports. I note Shopify is a dropshipping model, however, is Shopify regarded as an EDP for GST purposes....meaning i do NOT need to charge and report on GST for items likely costing <$50 each etc ???

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @ObiWanKanobi 

I recommend getting in touch with our GST team who can tell you whether or not you need to charge GST.

Thanks, Ari

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @ObiWanKanobi 

I recommend getting in touch with our GST team who can tell you whether or not you need to charge GST.

Thanks, Ari