Announcements
Looking for information on the JobKeeper extension? Watch the video in our latest news article.

ATO Community

Is the purchase of a new business premises tax deductible?

Highlighted

Initiate

Views 125

Replies 1

Hi there,

Can the purchase of a new premises (e.g. a warehouse or an office) be deducted from a businesses taxable income?
Hypothetically, for instance, if a business makes a profit of $500,000 in a tax year and also purchases a property for $500,000 does this reduce thier taxable income to $0?

My understanding is that a business can not claim this as a tax deduction because it is a capital asset and not an operating expense. Furthermore, a business can only claim expenses relating to decline in value of the building’s structure. Is this understanding correct?

Thank you in advance,

Simon

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @sdfry 

Thank you for your question.

You are correct - it is a capital item. We have a page on our website which I think you will find very helpful. It discusses tax implications and any deductions that are available:  Buying commercial property.

I hope this helps

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @sdfry 

Thank you for your question.

You are correct - it is a capital item. We have a page on our website which I think you will find very helpful. It discusses tax implications and any deductions that are available:  Buying commercial property.

I hope this helps