ATO Community

LCT on Imported Vehicles

Views 1141

Replies 6

Hi ATO community,

I am looking to import an Australian manufactured vehicle that is greater than 2 years old from NZ.

I have read: https://www.ato.gov.au/business/luxury-car-tax/when-lct-applies/

• LCT applies to sales of cars that are two years old or less. A car is more than two years old at the time of supply if it was manufactured locally or imported more than two years previously.

Which to me reads that LCT is not payable on the vehicle. However, the conditions listed on this page: https://www.ato.gov.au/business/luxury-car-tax/when-lct-applies/importing-a-luxury-car/ slightly contradicts this information and I would like to be 100% sure I do not need to pay LCT on this vehicle before purchasing. It was orginally manufactured in Aus so I see no reason why LCT should apply, but better to be sure.

TIA,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 1

Hi @lychees 

@Iheartrefunds is correct if you want 100% accuracy you can apply for a private ruling

or you can email our LCT area for more information regarding your situation. More information about getting your LCT right is available on our website.

Thanks Ari

6 REPLIES 6

Community Moderator

Replies 1

Hi @lychees 

We will look into this one and let you know.

Kylie

Replies 0

Thanks @KylieATO , I look forward to a reply.

Devotee

Replies 0

I see you are waiting for advice, but just pointing out if you are nervous and want to get binding advice you can always write in for a private ruling. It is the only way to be 100% certain.

Devotee

Replies 0

If the car was originally manufactured in Australia then exported to NZ you would need to find out if LCT has already been paid on the car. If it's only two years old these records should be accessible.

If you import a luxury car into Australia, it's subject to luxury car tax (LCT) unless any of the following apply:

- LCT has already been paid on the car – for example, you take the car overseas and later return with it to Australia.

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 1

Hi @lychees 

@Iheartrefunds is correct if you want 100% accuracy you can apply for a private ruling

or you can email our LCT area for more information regarding your situation. More information about getting your LCT right is available on our website.

Thanks Ari

Replies 0

Thanks @AriH ,

I will look to get a private ruling done, at the moment I have recieved two steps of conflicting advice from my accountant (it doesn't apply) and from the importer (it does apply). So it looks like the private ruling is the way to go.