Announcements
Worried you’re missing part of your refund? Remember, the low and middle income tax offset isn’t a refund on its own – it’s used to offset (or reduce) the amount of tax you pay. The offset amount you may be entitled to is automatically applied and could range between $255-$1080, depending on things like your taxable income and how much tax you’ve paid.
Still not sure? Ask the Community

ATO Community

Managing 2 Share Portfolios for Tax Purposes (1. Holder for investing & 2. Trading as a business)

I'm new

Views 682

Replies 1

Hi ATO Community,

I have a question in regards to investing as both an investor and trading as a buiness. 

Is it possible for me to have two seperate accounts (or portfolios), that are treated differnetly for tax purposes.

Portfolio 1. Investment Shares that can claim CGT discount after 12 months for shares I hold as Shareholder as an investor definition.These shares might be held in my name, or in a joint account with my wife.

Portfolio 2. Share trading as a business that are traded under the ATO rules as a business but can't claim the CGT discount etc 

I assume that this is possible, since it is common for people to have investment property portfolios and trading portfolios that are treated differently for tax purposes?  

Thanks in advance,
Matt 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Community Moderator

Replies 0

Hi @mjb1024

Thanks for your post.

A similar question has been asked in our Community. You can check out the thread here: Can I be an investor and a trader?

As suggested in the last post of that thread, if you would like us to take a closer look at your situation you can request an early engagement discussion with us. For more information, refer to the early engagement for advice page of our website.

Thanks, ChrisR

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

Community Moderator

Replies 0

Hi @mjb1024

Thanks for your post.

A similar question has been asked in our Community. You can check out the thread here: Can I be an investor and a trader?

As suggested in the last post of that thread, if you would like us to take a closer look at your situation you can request an early engagement discussion with us. For more information, refer to the early engagement for advice page of our website.

Thanks, ChrisR