ATO Community

Small business tax question

Views 582

Replies 2

Is it generally recommended to go with an accountant for small businesses?

My situation isn't super complex, but partway through last year I left an employer and got a contract position with a company, but it was necessary for me to create a sole proprietorship. All my earned income with the sole proprietorship is from the one company, I've been charging HST, and have minor expenses (travel, stationary, etc.) that I've been keeping track of. In this situation, would the recommendation still be to engage an accountant, or is possible to do on one's own? I had spoken to a professional, but the cost I was quoted was ~$900 after tax, and I'm not sure what's reasonable or not yet.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @jinelcrimp8 

You can always get advice from a registered tax or BAS agent if you need help. However, ATO online services is a secure way for you to access information and services to manage your tax and super. You will need a myGov account, linked to the ATO. You can follow the steps to help you as an individual or sole trader.

If you find it difficult to interact with us online and don't use a registered tax or BAS agent, you can phone us for assistance. 

I hope this information is helpful.

MariR

2 REPLIES 2

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @jinelcrimp8 

You can always get advice from a registered tax or BAS agent if you need help. However, ATO online services is a secure way for you to access information and services to manage your tax and super. You will need a myGov account, linked to the ATO. You can follow the steps to help you as an individual or sole trader.

If you find it difficult to interact with us online and don't use a registered tax or BAS agent, you can phone us for assistance. 

I hope this information is helpful.

MariR

Replies 0

My situation isn't super complex, but partway through last year I left an employer and got a contract position with a company, but it was necessary for me to create a sole proprietorship. All my earned income with the sole proprietorship is from the one company, I've been charging HST, and have minor expenses (travel, stationary, etc.) that I've been keeping track of. In this situation, would the recommendation still be to engage an accountant, or is possible to do on one's own? I had spoken to a professional, but the cost I was quoted was ~$900 after tax, and I'm not sure what's reasonable or not ye

https://nox.tips/ https://testmyspeed.onl/