Announcements
If you haven't been able to get your JobKeeper enrolment in, no need to worry. You can call us until 5 June and we can help you get it submitted.

ATO Community

Re: Transfer of logbook

Highlighted

Views 657

Replies 5

Hello

Under the FBT act, can an employee trasfer a valid logbook completed for one car to another car? There is no change in the pattern of the vehicle use. The reason for trasfer is just due to a vehicle swap.

Please advise

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

Champion

Replies 2

Hi @LGodage 

I'd suggest creating a new logbook, although there is a point on the ATO for using a single logbook for all business vehicles found here

Which may or may not apply. See the quote below:

"Using the logbook for two or more cars

If you want to use the logbook method for two or more cars, the logbook for each car must cover the same period. The 12-week period you choose should be representative of the business use of all cars."

It's not entirely obvious by the wording how it applies, so to be safe I'd start a new logbook.

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted

Best answer

Champion

Replies 2

Hi @LGodage 

I'd suggest creating a new logbook, although there is a point on the ATO for using a single logbook for all business vehicles found here

Which may or may not apply. See the quote below:

"Using the logbook for two or more cars

If you want to use the logbook method for two or more cars, the logbook for each car must cover the same period. The 12-week period you choose should be representative of the business use of all cars."

It's not entirely obvious by the wording how it applies, so to be safe I'd start a new logbook.

Highlighted

Replies 1

This quote is for when you use 2 car at the same time. Not in case of car swap

Highlighted

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @JackDang

The guidance per the ATO website does not offer the same information you refer too. However if you see Calculation methods for claiming business motor vehicle expenses. this should prove helpful. You will be able to tailor your query either to a Sole trader or partnership or alternatively Company or trust. It shows the logbooks methods aligned to the type of business claiming.

Thanks for your post and apologies for the delay in getting back to you.

MarkA

Highlighted

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 1

Hi @LGodage,

Thanks for your question!

@ariellead  has provided some great information, but I'd just like to clarify that each vehicle does require a separate logbook.

This is because each logbook must contain the make, model, engine capacity and registration number of the car, as well as the odometer readings. These details will almost certainly be different for each vehicle you use, and your records will need to show the differences.

Hope this helps,

Rachael B.

Highlighted

Replies 0

Hi,

I read from other materials saying that if a car is swap within the 5 yeaars period and the use pattern doesn't change, a new log book if not required. However, a ‘nomination’ must be made noting the following information for both cars:

• start and ending odometer readings for the period
  • make, model and registration particulars
  • engine capacities

Could you clarify if this is correct. It does have a point. The whole purpose o the logbook is to establish the work related use and if a nomination/declaration can provide for new details for the new car, it would be okay. If the answer is no, would you be able to provide a reference? Thanks