Announcements
Looking for information on the JobKeeper extension? Watch the video in our latest news article.

ATO Community

eBay GST

Highlighted

Views 4103

Replies 1

I'm an eBay seller - very small seller actually - so I regard this as a hobby.

Recently, eBay advised that from 1/7/17 they will be charging GST on fees I pay for selling, however will waive these fees if I have an ABN.

But if I have an ABN doesn't that mean that I will change my hobby into a business?

Further, if I don't apply for an ABN can I apply to have the GST fees reimbursed as they apply to businesses - not hobbies?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Community Manager

Replies 0

Hi @tardis3

Thanks for your question!

That’s correct – If you have an ABN it means you are in business.

It can be tricky sometimes to work out if your hobby is actually a business. There is no one “thing” that decides if you’re running a business – we usually look at a few different factors to help us work it out. If you’re unsure you can find some great information over here on our website: Online selling – hobby or business?

Legislation comes into effect on 1 July 2017 so that GST will apply to digital products including eBooks, music and apps. Electronic distribution platform operators may be treated as the supplier in this instance. More information can be found at https://www.ato.gov.au/General/New-legislation/In-detail/Indirect-taxes/GST/GST---applying-to-digita....

To claim a GST credit or reimbursement you must have an ABN and be registered for GST. For further clarification you can email our GST team at GSTmail@ato.gov.au.

Hope this helps!

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Community Manager

Replies 0

Hi @tardis3

Thanks for your question!

That’s correct – If you have an ABN it means you are in business.

It can be tricky sometimes to work out if your hobby is actually a business. There is no one “thing” that decides if you’re running a business – we usually look at a few different factors to help us work it out. If you’re unsure you can find some great information over here on our website: Online selling – hobby or business?

Legislation comes into effect on 1 July 2017 so that GST will apply to digital products including eBooks, music and apps. Electronic distribution platform operators may be treated as the supplier in this instance. More information can be found at https://www.ato.gov.au/General/New-legislation/In-detail/Indirect-taxes/GST/GST---applying-to-digita....

To claim a GST credit or reimbursement you must have an ABN and be registered for GST. For further clarification you can email our GST team at GSTmail@ato.gov.au.

Hope this helps!