Announcements
Worried you’re missing part of your refund? Remember, the low and middle income tax offset isn’t a refund on its own – it’s used to offset (or reduce) the amount of tax you pay. The offset amount you may be entitled to is automatically applied and could range between $255-$1080, depending on things like your taxable income and how much tax you’ve paid.
Still not sure? Ask the Community

ATO Community

Re: the CASH - BLACK HOLE Economy

Initiate

Views 8302

Replies 42

let's take a POLL shall we?

. do you think that Tradies are ENTITLED to "NOT PAY TAX" ? 

.. do you think that Tradies are ENTITLED to "Greater CentreLink-related payments" because they do NOT want to declare their Income?

well, I for one do not think that they are entitled ...

- after another frustrating couple of days - ( trying to do some reno work in the Laundry)-

a) carpenter 'wants cash';

b) plumber 'wants cash';

c) electrician wants 'cash'

that is 3 -out of- 3 that do NOT want to pay Taxes ......I say NO,  NO to them - and, they have the "gall" to 'ask again' & I have to say NO again.....

what gives them the right to-

(i)   "PUSH the Tax Burden"  onto  PAYG Employees;

(ii)   falsely claim Centrelink-related payments - including 'childcare';

(iii)  avoid paying 'child support payments' on their  "FULL Income"..

wake UP Australia -   

wake up ATO  -  your stats on the 'cash economy black hole' is understated...

what do you think Australia?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

VIP

Replies 9

Hi @ushi25

We’re hearing your frustration and you aren’t alone. Most Australians believe it’s unfair for others to gain a competitive advantage by intentionally doing the wrong thing.

Transacting in cash is not (by itself) illegal, and most businesses do the right thing, some use it as a way to help them avoid their obligations (e.g. by not declaring their income).

It’s also really unfair for consumers as well! Requesting a tax invoice and getting a receipt for payment protects your rights and obligations. Consumers who pay cash and don’t get a receipt, risk having no evidence to claim a refund if the goods or services purchased are faulty, or prove who was responsible in case of poor work quality.

We are working to address black economy behaviour through a range of measures designed to ensure all Australians receive a ‘fair go’. For more information on what is being done, visit ato.gov.au/BlackEconomy

Our Tax Integrity Centre (TIC) allows the community to do their part in the fight against the black economy by reporting information on suspected or known black economy activity. Visit ato.gov.au/TIC to learn how.

Good luck with your renos!

42 REPLIES 42

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

VIP

Replies 9

Hi @ushi25

We’re hearing your frustration and you aren’t alone. Most Australians believe it’s unfair for others to gain a competitive advantage by intentionally doing the wrong thing.

Transacting in cash is not (by itself) illegal, and most businesses do the right thing, some use it as a way to help them avoid their obligations (e.g. by not declaring their income).

It’s also really unfair for consumers as well! Requesting a tax invoice and getting a receipt for payment protects your rights and obligations. Consumers who pay cash and don’t get a receipt, risk having no evidence to claim a refund if the goods or services purchased are faulty, or prove who was responsible in case of poor work quality.

We are working to address black economy behaviour through a range of measures designed to ensure all Australians receive a ‘fair go’. For more information on what is being done, visit ato.gov.au/BlackEconomy

Our Tax Integrity Centre (TIC) allows the community to do their part in the fight against the black economy by reporting information on suspected or known black economy activity. Visit ato.gov.au/TIC to learn how.

Good luck with your renos!

I'm new

Replies 3

@ushi25 Its disgusting & happens ALL THE TIME!

My eldery mum got pressured into paying cash (""cash discounts"") to fix her fence and they didnt give her a docket. REPORT THEM.. GET THEM AUDITED.

I pay  33cents tax for every $1 i make ... what are tradies doing? driving on roads they dont pay for!!

sick of it.

Initiate

Replies 0

Some Tradies evade tax. Always have to refresh myself if the right word is evade or avoid. And so do some politicians, accountants, solicitors and Public Servants evade their legally owed tax. I would not necessarily use the term "Morality". Heaven forbid we would need a quote from any of them, in the same vein you impune Tradies. Albeit unintentionally, I'm sure. Some Tradies must be evading tax.  About 30 years ago a NSW Judge went through a red light on a SUNDAY heading down hill from the Sydney Town Hall. He was subsequently disgraced. And a few weaks earlier I almost went through same red light on a Sunday because the faceless people controlling said traffic lights change the sequencing.There should not have been a sudden red light. It was morally wrong to have miscontroled the lights only on Sundays so you can not go through the City - except very slowly. I have my suspicions why. Or more importantly, who was responsible.... Anyhow, I had a Plumber out on a Saturday to unblock my sewer.1 Hour of emergency work and the use of his powerful machine cost $368.50 and included a receipt without any discussion. He remits 10% to Mssrs Ten Percent, pays PIT (Personal Income Tax) at what %? I had to pay PIT on that money before I spent it. And of course it only proves that money makes the World go around. And all of the above means Humans will never make it to another Planet until we work out how a Government can spend the Peoples money and provide an acceptable account. So it will never happen - going to another star system. And let us not overlook how hard Tradies work and the conditions they have to endure, which most Australians EVADE and AVOID.....this is not a political comment. This comment is not meant to do anything other than talk back. Talk is cheap. Talk does not incure GST, as far as I can determine. Smiley Happy

Initiate

Replies 0

My elderly mother was tricked into paying cash (""cash discounts"") for the repair of her fence, and she was not given a bill. REPORT THEM AND HAVE THEM INSPECTED.

What are tradies doing? I pay 33 cents in tax for every $1 I earn... what are they doing? They're driving on roads they don't have to pay for!!

I'm tired of it.

Initiate

Replies 2

How naive to  say ""most businesses do the right thing, ""

I  am a  tax  agent and  I  recently lost a  client as  I  refused to  claim his home  to  work  travel as  he  was an  employee in  construction going some 120km per day to one worksite  for  over  six  months.

His mother" (  another problem)  saw another  agent whose  advice was "Clain the  travel ..You  will probably get away  with it .

The tax accountant and her boss  have strongly  suggested that he claims his travel costs as he has done in the past.

If it is challenged he can ask for a review.”

(The tax agent is  not registered)

His travel in the  past was travel between the  Head office and  the work place once  or  twice  per week and  was  20%

Former Community Support

Replies 1

@Jayddd earlier in this thread we mentioned how you can use the Tax Integrity Centre to report people and businesses who demand cash payments to avoid their tax obligations.

If you’re looking to make a complaint about a tax agent who breaches the Code of Professional Conduct, you can do this through the Tax Practitioners Board.

NicolaC

Initiate

Replies 0

online form available to report is time-consuming and some fields are compulsory.  People who report wrongdoing to ATO might not have time to fill really long forms. ATO should consider really easy and small forms, with three options - Name, ABN, and comment. and also, promot these forms so more and more information can be collected and actions can be taken. 

Initiate

Replies 0

hi Peter,

Lots of calls received that my friend received a job keeper he is an international student or has another parttime job, or he/she was not actively working on 12 the march. I personally don't mind people get money at this time of the era but its not line with regulations for job keeper. if you would like to give to everybody then add it to legislation. 

As a taxpayer, it's my money. 

Also, we have a situation that one genuine business has transferred from trust to company and done the right thing as per ATO's advice but did not get Cashflow boose payment because of transfer to the new structure. the lawmaker has not made it properly and ATO has not implemented properly. Please fix it- stop wrong job keeper payments

see the difference who should get it they are not getting because doing the right thing but who gets it doing the wrong thing.