Announcements
We’re doing scheduled maintenance on ATO Community to bring you a bigger, better and brighter online community.
You may see us go into read-only mode over the weekend while we do this. Don’t worry! You’ll still be able to search the site to find your answers.

ATO Community

17 year old turning 18 JobKeeper

Views 4725

Replies 9

I am currently 17 years old and was previously eligible for the JobKeeper payments, I turn 18 in less than a month. Am I now and forever ineligible for these payments, or will that be changed when I turn 18?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 1

05/05 Post edited by moderator to include most up to date information on elgibility for 16 and 17 year olds

Hi @Brooke13 

Thanks for your question.

To Work out if you are an eligible employee – please go to this link.

If the employer is claiming for the JobKeeper payment for an eligible employee, the individual needs to have been at least 16 years old and either of the following on 1 March 2020:

• 'independent' within the meaning of the Social Security Act 1991
  • not a 'full time student' within the meaning of the Social Security Act 1991

The individual will only be an eligible employee if they are ‘independent’ OR not a ‘full time student’.

Hope this helps.

9 REPLIES 9

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 1

05/05 Post edited by moderator to include most up to date information on elgibility for 16 and 17 year olds

Hi @Brooke13 

Thanks for your question.

To Work out if you are an eligible employee – please go to this link.

If the employer is claiming for the JobKeeper payment for an eligible employee, the individual needs to have been at least 16 years old and either of the following on 1 March 2020:

• 'independent' within the meaning of the Social Security Act 1991
  • not a 'full time student' within the meaning of the Social Security Act 1991

The individual will only be an eligible employee if they are ‘independent’ OR not a ‘full time student’.

Hope this helps.

Megastar

Replies 0

Hi SaFA,

Can we take your reply to mean that once the young person turns 18 and the criteria for 16-17 year-olds no longer apply, the 18 year-old will then become eligible?

Thank you.

Initiate

Replies 0

Thanks BROOKE13 for asking this question. I too would love to hear an official response from the ATO.

We have staff in similar situation and aren't sure whether or not to continue paying them... 

CASUAL STAFF MEMBER "A" is 17yo - year 12 student living at home with parents... wont be 18 until October.  Has been paid $1500 per fortnight for the firt two fortnights of the JobKeeper scheme, but as I understand it is no longer eligible to receive these payments going forward. Correct?

CASUAL STAFF MEMBER "B" is a 17yo - part-time Uni student living at home with parents but paying some rent?!... turns 18 in May. Has been paid $1500 per fortnight for the firt two fortnights of the JobKeeper scheme.

- Do I keep paying the JobKeeper $1500 per fortnight?

- Do we stop payments for now and resume them when she turns 18 in a few weeks?

- or is she no longer eligible for future payemnts?

*sigh* 

So confusing for Small Business owners - and risky asking us to front these payments. Before I redraw further on my personal home loan in order to fund this scheme, I'd like some assurance that I'm doing the right thing and will receive reimbursement for these payments made to staff considered eligible at the time!  Spent an hour on the phone this morning with the ATO with no firm answer to this question - was directed to call the Treasury and have been unable to get a human on the phone there.    

Community Manager

Replies 5

We have edited our post to include some newly clarified information about eligiblity for those who turn 18 after 1 March.

Initiate

Replies 2

Hi

I have a similar situation where I have a part time staff member that turns 18 at the end of June, they are a full time student and living at home. I am still unclear with their eligibility status?

As they are not longer under 18, do they now qualify to receive JobKeeper? 

If so, how do I update their status on our ATO portal?

thanks

ATO Community Support

Replies 1

Hi @larisa

The current eligible employee criteria states they were aged 18 years or older at 1 March 2020 (if you were 16 or 17 you can also qualify for fortnights before 11 May 2020, and continue to qualify after that if you are independent or not undertaking full time study).

Thanks, Ari

Enthusiast

Replies 0

Yes that is clear, but does the situation change if they turn 18 after that eg 4th July 2020

Enthusiast

Replies 1

What post are you referring to that has been updated?

Megastar

Replies 0

Hi Dkbignall,

I think the one you are referring to was a post by a representative of the ATO (on 5 May?).  I haven't been on this forum for weeks now.  It has been made clear now - unless an employee who is still dependent was 18 on 1 March, they dont qualify.  Turning 18 in subsequent months wont change that.

Regards,

VB