Announcements
We understand that 2020 has been a difficult year but we're here to try and make it a little easier for you during tax time. You can search other people's posts, read our articles or ask your own question.

ATO Community

820 visa jobkeeper

Highlighted

Views 1520

Replies 3

Hi
There seems to be a lot of confusion around the eligibility of 820 visa holders for both the jobkeeper and the jobseeker payments. No one seems to know or to be willing to look into this question.
Ppl on this visa came here to stay so they can be with their partner/family. We paid a lot of money for this visa, we work, pay tax and made this country our new home AND we are on an 820 just because we have to wait to apply for PR and it's clear that "going home" certainly isn't an option.
My partner and i both lost our income as we have a business in tourism. Our existance is at risk and my partner won't be able to get our business through AND look after both of us if my visa doesn't allow for support.
Can you please provide updated information on this matter?
Are 820 visa holders eligible for jobkeeper?
If not can we at least expect to get the jobseeker?
Centerlink doesn't seem to know...........
Thank you.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 2

Hi @MiriamAnna 

Thanks for reaching out - we know its a really difficult time for everyone right now and there is a lot of information around which can be confusing.

It's not clear from the information provided if your husband is a permanent resident, and how your business is structured (eg partnership/sole trader). To determine his/your eligibiltiy, read through the Sole Trader and general JobKeeper information available on our website.

We are unable to comment about your eligibility for JobSeeker or other payments administered by Services Australia - you will need to contact them again and provide your specific details.

Hope this helps.

Stay safe!

ElO

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 2

Hi @MiriamAnna 

Thanks for reaching out - we know its a really difficult time for everyone right now and there is a lot of information around which can be confusing.

It's not clear from the information provided if your husband is a permanent resident, and how your business is structured (eg partnership/sole trader). To determine his/your eligibiltiy, read through the Sole Trader and general JobKeeper information available on our website.

We are unable to comment about your eligibility for JobSeeker or other payments administered by Services Australia - you will need to contact them again and provide your specific details.

Hope this helps.

Stay safe!

ElO

Highlighted

Replies 1

Hi

Thanks for getting back to me.
We have read through all information available several times and spoken toour tax agent and several other people. But there's just no info on the 820 anywhere.
My partner is PR and eligible because he is a sole trader.
I'm on an 820 and the only full-time employee in his business - even though we're still doing background work there's no source of income anymore.
The 820 is a permanent temporary visa as it just serves as a waiting period until the gov invites you to apply for the 801 which is PR.
Therefore it is not a classical temporary visa as mentioned in the official statements.
We basically have the same rights and obligations as ppl on a PR (tax, medicare, etc.) and are basically residents without the status yet because of the forced waiting period.

Hope this gives you more info to work with.
Thanks so much for your support.
Highlighted

Community Manager

Replies 0

Hi @Miriamnn;

If it meets this criteria;

were either  

• an Australian resident (within the meaning of the Social Security Act 1991) – visit the Services Australia website and read residence descriptions for more details
  • an Australian resident for the purpose of the Income Tax Assessment Act 1936 and the holder of a Subclass 444 (Special Category) visa as at 1 March 2020

KylieS