Announcements
Have you sold crypto, shares or property? Our new capital gains tax guide has info about cost bases, calculations & more! Still got questions? Ask the Community!

ATO Community

ABN & Full-Time Worker - Job Keeper Eligibilty

Views 318

Replies 3

Hi there, 

I am hoping to get confirmation as I am getting conflicting information from the website/my accountant.
I work as a full time employee for a company and also have a small side business which I claim income via my ABN.

I met the criteria for JobKeeper when it initially started, so I began to claim from the ATO.
When the eligibility changed (back in sept) I stopped claiming as I could see it said you weren't allowed to claim if you have an ABN AND work Full Time.

I have spoken to my accountant this morning to begin my tax return for the last financial year and he has said I shouldn't have claimed JobKeeper?  
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 2

Hi @elisek, 

In order to claim JobKeeper as an eligible business participant (under your ABN), you must meet all eligibility criteria, one of which is: 

• You are not an employee (other than a casual employee) of another entity.

This has been a requirement even as part of the original JobKeeper scheme - this was not changed under the extensions for JobKeeper. 

Your accountant is right - where you have permanent employment, you are not an eligible business participant, and cannot claim JobKeeper. 

You should contact us to discuss this to see how we can work to correct this.

3 REPLIES 3

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 2

Hi @elisek, 

In order to claim JobKeeper as an eligible business participant (under your ABN), you must meet all eligibility criteria, one of which is: 

• You are not an employee (other than a casual employee) of another entity.

This has been a requirement even as part of the original JobKeeper scheme - this was not changed under the extensions for JobKeeper. 

Your accountant is right - where you have permanent employment, you are not an eligible business participant, and cannot claim JobKeeper. 

You should contact us to discuss this to see how we can work to correct this.

Replies 1

Hey Blake, 

I called the ATO yesterday (gave them my personal info) and they advised I was eligible under my situation (haven't done anything wrong)? 

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @eKuser24,

Did you originally have permanent employment when you nominated as an eligible business participant?

You can obtain permanent employment after nominating, but you cannot have permanent employment at the time you nominate as an eligible business participant. This is covered under our Knowledge Base Article: JobKeeper:

What if I have another job? To enrol for JobKeeper as an eligible business participant, you can’t be an employee (other than a casual employee) of another entity at the time of enrolment. ... Once you are enrolled as an eligible business participant, you are allowed to gain permanent employment and earn additional income, however you must remain actively engaged in your business.