Announcements
Worried you’re missing part of your refund? Remember, the low and middle income tax offset isn’t a refund on its own – it’s used to offset (or reduce) the amount of tax you pay. The offset amount you may be entitled to is automatically applied and could range between $255-$1080, depending on things like your taxable income and how much tax you’ve paid.
Still not sure? Ask the Community

ATO Community

Re: Alternative test for sole trader Jobkeeper 2.0

Views 1795

Replies 11

Hi,

According to my understanding, for Jobkeeper 2.0, I will need to compare July, Aug & September GST turnover in 2020 with same quarter in 2019. However, I was on leave the entire month of September 2019, so should I use the October 2019 figure and multiply that by 3? or should I be using June 2019?

I've read this page but the rule seems to be different to the example given.

https://www.ato.gov.au/General/JobKeeper-Payment/In-detail/JobKeeper-tests/Applying-the-turnover-tes...

And will this alternative test be available on the ATO page when Jobkeeper 2.0 is accepting enrolment?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 10

Hi @chrissiuys,

Great question, it's something that businesses are starting to think about leading up to the end of this round of Jobkeeper. The answer regarding 'Additional turnover tests' in the Jobkeeper payment extension factsheet is not specific to your situation, as per Jobkeeper extension (as you have suggested), but it does mention the possibility of alternative tests. However, please note that these are still proposed changes, not being passed as legislation yet (as per Jobkeeper key dates). The alternative test rule you referred to in the link is for the current round of Jobkeeper, there is nothing defined yet for 'Jobkeeper 2.0'.

When this next round of Jobkeeper has being made law, it is possible there may be additional details available for the turnover tests, including some flexibility for the turnover test period or an alternative test if the test periods were not suitable. In my opinion, there's a good chance that these details should be sorted by the time businesses/employers can enrol for the next round of Jobkeeper. Until then, unfortunately, we can't make any further comment.

11 REPLIES 11

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 10

Hi @chrissiuys,

Great question, it's something that businesses are starting to think about leading up to the end of this round of Jobkeeper. The answer regarding 'Additional turnover tests' in the Jobkeeper payment extension factsheet is not specific to your situation, as per Jobkeeper extension (as you have suggested), but it does mention the possibility of alternative tests. However, please note that these are still proposed changes, not being passed as legislation yet (as per Jobkeeper key dates). The alternative test rule you referred to in the link is for the current round of Jobkeeper, there is nothing defined yet for 'Jobkeeper 2.0'.

When this next round of Jobkeeper has being made law, it is possible there may be additional details available for the turnover tests, including some flexibility for the turnover test period or an alternative test if the test periods were not suitable. In my opinion, there's a good chance that these details should be sorted by the time businesses/employers can enrol for the next round of Jobkeeper. Until then, unfortunately, we can't make any further comment.

Replies 3

Thank you

Replies 2

hi.

we are in the same boat as you.

we are a partnership with 2 people, we took leave in september/oct for 3.5 weeks and returned to work in the second week in october 

using the alternative test we understand we need to use the turnover from the November - the month AFTER he returned to work.. and multiplying that turnover by 3  and comparing that amount against the 2020 july/aug/sept actual turnover

thats our understanding

Replies 1

Hi Sharnee,

Being your leave was September through October 2019 and so you crossed over 2 x GST reporting quarters would this mean (if the same rule ONE MONTH after starting back to work applies) that for Jobkeeper 2.0 you would be using the same November turnover multiplied x 3 figure for both the Oct to Dec jobkeeper and subsequently the Jan to Mar 21 periods?

Replies 0

Yeah,
I feel like that’s the case , I’m pleased you read it the same as I do. Here’s hoping the alternative rules stay the same as they were in 1.0 so we don’t need to figure out new rules

Replies 5

Hello there, I am a newbie to this forum but stumbled across this question and so joined up because I am in the same predicament (having taking leave in 2019) which has affected my income for the Jul-Sep 2019 quarter. With legislation passing on 01/09 in regards to Jobkeeper 2.0 has there now been any updates regarding this alternative test question.  Just hoping for some clarification here please? 

Replies 4

As far as I know, there haven't been any updates yet. If it's the same deal as the last Jobkeeper, then I think we need to use turnover AFTER the month we returned to work and multiply that by three. I guess we'll find out in due course...

Replies 0

Thanks for quick response.

Replies 2

I’m trying to find info on our circumstances :
We are a partnership husband and wife.
We had no employees in September 2019 when my husband took leave in September and October. Returning to work October.
My question : we had no employees in our comparison period 2019,
But in January we took on an apprentice.
Are we still eligible to use the alternative test to compare turnover given that our position in the test period 2019 had zero employees?