Announcements
Worried you’re missing part of your refund? Remember, the low and middle income tax offset isn’t a refund on its own – it’s used to offset (or reduce) the amount of tax you pay. The offset amount you may be entitled to is automatically applied and could range between $255-$1080, depending on things like your taxable income and how much tax you’ve paid.
Still not sure? Ask the Community

ATO Community

Am I being swindled out of Jobkeeper?

I'm new

Views 484

Replies 1

Hi, I have a very unique situation.
Before Covid, I was working casually at a small business for three years. I’ve been on JobSEEKER for years on pension as I suffer severe anxiety which prevents me from working full time.
A year prior to covid, I was given 5% of the business as a gift from the owners (friends of mine). Not long after, I took some money out of the family inheritance and bought a further 10%. Now with this percentage of the business, I don’t actually make any further money from it. I only got paid the hours I worked, from the friends who owned the majority of the business. (Roughly $300 a week)
Come Covid, I ask them to nominate me for JobKEEPER. They tell me that unfortunately, I don’t qualify for it. Now for the life of me, I can’t seem to find anything online that supports this claim. I was most certainly a casual employee… The percentage in the business that I owned did not bring me any income to begin with so I was essentially just another worker there... Is anyone able to shed some light on the matter? Obviously job keeper offers more money than job seeker so I just want to make sure I haven’t been duped (or robbed, in this case) by my friends who told me otherwise.
Thanks.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @JustCurious85,

Thanks for posting to us.

Can I just confirm have you maintained your position as a casual employee with the business, or did that status change when you became a shareholder?

If you had maintained that type of casual employment, then you may be entitled to JobKeeper if your situation it falls in line with the employee eligibility requirements. If you are entitled to JobKeeper, you would need to report to Services Australia if you start receiving JobKeeper payments, as this may impact the JobSeeker payments.

If you feel like you need further assistance, or feel that you're being treated unfairly regarding your eligibility, then it would be a good idea to contact FairWork Australia for further advice.

All the best with this.

RachATO

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @JustCurious85,

Thanks for posting to us.

Can I just confirm have you maintained your position as a casual employee with the business, or did that status change when you became a shareholder?

If you had maintained that type of casual employment, then you may be entitled to JobKeeper if your situation it falls in line with the employee eligibility requirements. If you are entitled to JobKeeper, you would need to report to Services Australia if you start receiving JobKeeper payments, as this may impact the JobSeeker payments.

If you feel like you need further assistance, or feel that you're being treated unfairly regarding your eligibility, then it would be a good idea to contact FairWork Australia for further advice.

All the best with this.

RachATO