Announcements
We’re doing scheduled maintenance on ATO Community to bring you a bigger, better and brighter online community.
You may see us go into read-only mode over the weekend while we do this. Don’t worry! You’ll still be able to search the site to find your answers.

ATO Community

Am I still eligible for JobKeeper if I move state?

Views 824

Replies 5

Hi,

I am a university student who worked Casually at a Resturant in Melbourne CBD.

I have received both the first round of JobKeeper and I am now currently receiving the second round of JobKeeper at the Tier 1 rate of $1200 per fortnight.

I usually head back to my home state of Tasmania during university holidays to see my family and friends etc.

Once Tasmania hopefully reopens to Victoria on the 1st of December, I plan to head back as soon as possible and dont plan on returning until University starts again (Late February).

My question is, would I still be eligible for the second round of JobKeeper payment even if I am in a different state? What about the third round, if it comes to that?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Devotee

Replies 1

You cannot refuse your employer's reasonable requests to work while receiving Jobkeeper so you negotiate that with your employer to keep receiving Jobkeeper. The employer can terminate your employment if you refuse reasonable requests to work while receiving Jobkeeper

5 REPLIES 5

Most helpful response

Devotee

Replies 1

You cannot refuse your employer's reasonable requests to work while receiving Jobkeeper so you negotiate that with your employer to keep receiving Jobkeeper. The employer can terminate your employment if you refuse reasonable requests to work while receiving Jobkeeper

Replies 0

Hi SM2304,

I usually go back to Tasmania every university holiday and my workplace keeps me employed when I do so as I am a casual and I can take unpaid holiday whenever I like. This time is a bit different however because as far as I am aware, if I go back I should still be paid JobKeeper regardless of if I work or not. I just want confirmation that if I am still employed by my workplace and I return to Tasmania, therefore being unable to work, if they are required to pay me no matter what.

I also have been unable to find anywhere on any wesbite information about termination of employment regarding refusal to work when receiving JobKeeper. I believe that as long as I am eligble, they must pay me regardless? If you could provide a link to where I can find this information that would be great Smiley Happy

Devotee

Replies 2

Coronavirus.fairwork.gov.au - there are special rules to stop employees rorting Job keeper by refusing to work whole employed

Replies 1

Hi SM2304

I have already looked at the FairWork website and couldn't find what I was looking for.

Could you provide a direct link to the page where this is stated?

Thanks Smiley Happy

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Brhyeton 

What @SM2304 has advised is correct.

Fair Work clearly advises:

An employee can’t refuse an employer’s direction to perform work if the direction is reasonable and in line with their employer’s legal obligations.

If an employee doesn’t comply with their employer’s reasonable direction to return to work or their usual workplace, their employer may take disciplinary action against them, which in some circumstances could include termination of employment.

If you have further questions regarding conditions of your employment and payment, you'll need to speak to Fair Work.