Announcements
Looking for information on the JobKeeper extension? Check out our answers to common questions the community has been asking.

ATO Community

Re: Are employees now eligible for JK if they started after 1 March 2019 but before 1 July 2019

Highlighted

Views 334

Replies 8

Hi, 

My eligibile business has employees who started after 1 March 2019 but before 1 July 2019.

I did not register them for jobkeeper (JK) before they have not been employed for the full 12 months prior to 1 March 2020. I have other employees who are eligibile because they started before 1 March 2019.

However, the Treasurer announced today that the employee eligibility has changed to "1 July" not "1 March".

So, please let me know if employees who joined my business after 1 March 2019 but before 1 July 2019 are now eligibile for JK.

If yes, how do I enroll them in JK?

Thanks, Adrian

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Community Support

Replies 4

Hi @AdrianCharles

Thanks for your posts.

We have some new information on our website about the announced JobKeeper changes. The key date for assessing which employees are eligible for JobKeeper is now 1 July 2020, rather than 1 March 2020. For more information about the updated eligible employee requirements, have a look at our website.

This means that any staff that started after 1 March 2020 that were a full-time, part-time or fixed-term employee on 1 July 2020 are eligible for JobKeeper from 3 August 2020 onwards (assuming they meet the other requirements). It also means that any casual employees that meet the long-term casual requirement on 1 July 2020 are also eligible.

You should start paying your new eligible employees a minimum of $1,500 per fortnight as of now. In saying that, we are allowing employers until 31 August 2020 to meet the wage condition for all new eligible employees included in the JobKeeper scheme under the 1 July 2020 eligibility test.

You will be able to claim reimbursement for your new eligible employees from 1 September 2020 when you lodge your August monthly claim.

Good luck with it.

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted

Devotee

Replies 7

Pending actual Legislation being released and matching the announcements, then yes.

The process to add them is the same as for all employees.

Highlighted

Replies 6

Thanks for the reply MCA Accountants.  Do you have any idea approx how long for the legislation to go through?  The ATO tell me that they have not had any instructions yet.  Hopefully soon because I have employees waiting to return.  Cheers Adrian

Highlighted

Devotee

Replies 5

None at all unfortunately

Highlighted

Most helpful response

Community Support

Replies 4

Hi @AdrianCharles

Thanks for your posts.

We have some new information on our website about the announced JobKeeper changes. The key date for assessing which employees are eligible for JobKeeper is now 1 July 2020, rather than 1 March 2020. For more information about the updated eligible employee requirements, have a look at our website.

This means that any staff that started after 1 March 2020 that were a full-time, part-time or fixed-term employee on 1 July 2020 are eligible for JobKeeper from 3 August 2020 onwards (assuming they meet the other requirements). It also means that any casual employees that meet the long-term casual requirement on 1 July 2020 are also eligible.

You should start paying your new eligible employees a minimum of $1,500 per fortnight as of now. In saying that, we are allowing employers until 31 August 2020 to meet the wage condition for all new eligible employees included in the JobKeeper scheme under the 1 July 2020 eligibility test.

You will be able to claim reimbursement for your new eligible employees from 1 September 2020 when you lodge your August monthly claim.

Good luck with it.

Highlighted

Devotee

Replies 1

Thanks @ChrisATO for the clarification.

Can I suggest your post is made a sticky post - this question is coming up a lot and in the absence of Legislation this would be perfect to refer to.

Highlighted

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @AdrianCharles,

Thank you for your reply and appreciate you wanting to be certain. You can now use the July 1 date to check your employee eligibility. It does not mean they are new employees. Simply if they meet the eligibility criteria on the July 1 date. If they do you can have them complete a nomination notice and enrol them for JobKeeper from Aug 3. As @ChrisATO advises, you will need to have made the minimum JK payments for the month of August by Aug 31. You can then apply for JK from Sept 1-14 for the August month. JK is paid in arrears to the employer. 

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Jodie2.

Highlighted

Replies 1

Hi ChrisATO

Thanks for your reply but it does not actually answer my question.  I have two employees who started working with me after 1 March 2019 but before 1 July 2019.  I'm asking if these two employees are now eligible for JK because they have been employed for at least one year prior to 1 July 2020.  I'm not asking about new employees who started between 1 March 2020 and 1 July 2020. 

I just read the new ATO JK eligibility web page and it seems that these are eligible under the new rules and the other repondent agrees.  I just don't want to pay employee and be told later that they were not actually eligible. It's difficult to get the money back, especially given that we are currently forced to keep our doors closed and not have any staff on site.

Cheers  Adrian

Highlighted

Champion

Replies 0

Hi @AdrianCharles,

Reading this thread @ChrisATO and @Jodie2  have answered the question they think you have asked, but can you clarify the status of your employees?

Are they:

1. non-casual employee (whether full-time, part-time, or fixed-term) and therefore should have been paid from the start of Jobkeeper 1.0

2. long term casual employee (employed on a regular and systematic basis during the 12 month period that ended 1 July) and not a permanent employee of any other employer. In which case they can be paid from 3 August (FN10)  and before 31 August under the revised eligibility.

Both of these outcomes also depend upon your own ongoing eligilbilty, which you confirm in the first line of your original post. 

Hope this helps and stay healthy.