Announcements
Worried you’re missing part of your refund? Remember, the low and middle income tax offset isn’t a refund on its own – it’s used to offset (or reduce) the amount of tax you pay. The offset amount you may be entitled to is automatically applied and could range between $255-$1080, depending on things like your taxable income and how much tax you’ve paid.
Still not sure? Ask the Community

ATO Community

Can Australian Permanent Resident (PR) in overseas apply early super covid?

Views 356

Replies 1

I am an Permanent Resident (PR) of Australia living currently in overseas for about 3 years so far and unemployed due to Covid19. Since having moved to overseas, I became a non-resident for tax purpose in Australia (before, i was always being an australian resident for tax purpose) as i was employed in overseas paying under their tax scheme. This year, I was planning to return to Australia but got stuck due to Covid19 and delayed to stay in overseas because of the border closure. I believe i meet the eligibility of 1. Permanent Resident of Australia, 2. I am unemployed

However, i am wondering whether this early release super needs to meet a residence rule such as being an Australian Resident for TAX PURPOSE (physical, 183 days etc). Can someone please answer whether  I can still apply early super in overseas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @rain4516,

The eligibility criteria for the Covid-19 Early Release of Super doesn't mention a requirement of being an Australian Resident for tax purposes. If you were a temporary resident you wouldn't be able to apply even if the other criteria are met. But as a permanent resident, this shouldn't pose an issue so long as you satisfy the outlined eligibility Smiley Happy

Something that needs to be considered though is that your super can only be released into an Australian Bank Account. Additionally, the bank account details must be in the same name as the applicant, as super funds don't allow releases to third parties.

I hope this helps!

RachATO

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @rain4516,

The eligibility criteria for the Covid-19 Early Release of Super doesn't mention a requirement of being an Australian Resident for tax purposes. If you were a temporary resident you wouldn't be able to apply even if the other criteria are met. But as a permanent resident, this shouldn't pose an issue so long as you satisfy the outlined eligibility Smiley Happy

Something that needs to be considered though is that your super can only be released into an Australian Bank Account. Additionally, the bank account details must be in the same name as the applicant, as super funds don't allow releases to third parties.

I hope this helps!

RachATO