Announcements
Have you sold crypto, shares or property? Our new capital gains tax guide has info about cost bases, calculations & more! Still got questions? Ask the Community!

ATO Community

Can I access my super if my partner doesn't have enough of their own super.

I'm new

Views 475

Replies 1

Can I access up to $10000 of my own super if my partner has been affected by COVID-19 and does not have enough super of their own to access.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @graham68,

Thanks for reaching out.

You can't access your super early for a dependant. If your dependant is financially affected by COVID-19 they must apply themselves.

To be eligible, a citizen or permanent resident of Australia and New Zealand must require the COVID-19 early release of super to assist them to deal with the adverse economic effects of COVID-19.

In addition, one of the following circumstances must apply:

• you are unemployed
  • you are eligible to receive one of the following:  
    • jobseeker payment
    • youth allowance for jobseekers (unless you are undertaking full-time study or are a new apprentice)
    • parenting payment (which includes the single and partnered payments)
    • special benefit
    • farm household allowance

• on or after 1 January 2020 either:
    • you were made redundant
    • your working hours were reduced by 20% or more (including to zero)
    • you were a sole trader and your business was suspended or there was a reduction in turnover of 20% or more (partners in a partnership are not eligible unless the partner satisfies any other of the eligibility).

It is important that you assess your eligibility accurately and honestly. You do not need to attach evidence to support your application. However, you should keep records and documents to confirm your eligibility as we may ask you for this information.

There is more information about COVID-19 early release of super – integrity and compliance (including withdrawing and recontributing your super) on our website.

I hope this helps.

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @graham68,

Thanks for reaching out.

You can't access your super early for a dependant. If your dependant is financially affected by COVID-19 they must apply themselves.

To be eligible, a citizen or permanent resident of Australia and New Zealand must require the COVID-19 early release of super to assist them to deal with the adverse economic effects of COVID-19.

In addition, one of the following circumstances must apply:

• you are unemployed
  • you are eligible to receive one of the following:  
    • jobseeker payment
    • youth allowance for jobseekers (unless you are undertaking full-time study or are a new apprentice)
    • parenting payment (which includes the single and partnered payments)
    • special benefit
    • farm household allowance

• on or after 1 January 2020 either:
    • you were made redundant
    • your working hours were reduced by 20% or more (including to zero)
    • you were a sole trader and your business was suspended or there was a reduction in turnover of 20% or more (partners in a partnership are not eligible unless the partner satisfies any other of the eligibility).

It is important that you assess your eligibility accurately and honestly. You do not need to attach evidence to support your application. However, you should keep records and documents to confirm your eligibility as we may ask you for this information.

There is more information about COVID-19 early release of super – integrity and compliance (including withdrawing and recontributing your super) on our website.

I hope this helps.