Announcements
Worried you’re missing part of your refund? Remember, the low and middle income tax offset isn’t a refund on its own – it’s used to offset (or reduce) the amount of tax you pay. The offset amount you may be entitled to is automatically applied and could range between $255-$1080, depending on things like your taxable income and how much tax you’ve paid.
Still not sure? Ask the Community

ATO Community

Re: Can JobKeeper be treated as payment in lieu for future work ?

Views 746

Replies 2

I work for my employper as a Teacher for 9 years. I worked 4-8 hours fortnightly based on the class needs.

This year I usually work 4 hours fortnightly and earn $280 fortnightly. Due to the Covid-19, the lessons were suspended from the week beginning 23 March, therefore my teaching hours reduced to 0.

My employer recently has applied Jobkeeper payment for me. However my employer states that the Jobkeeper payments she makes to me will be treated as payment in lieu for future work I will undertake with the company once things return to normal, or asks me to reimburse the money to the emplyer.

My question is whether the current Jobkeeper payments could be used to pay my future work? Or Shall I reimburse the money to the employer?

And the employer only gives me one day to reply.

Please help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @candytangf 

Thanks for reaching out to us, we do realise this is a confusing time for many with so much information available.

Employers are required to pay employees as per the guidelines on our website. It does not sound like your employer is following these guidelines, you may need to have a talk with them or as @wonka5 advised Fair Work may be able to assist.

Alternately if you are concerned that someone you know is doing the wrong thing related to JobKeeper payments, you can tell us. To report illegal or behaviour of concern, visit making a tip off.

Good luck with everything, SueO

2 REPLIES 2

Devotee

Replies 0

That doesn’t sound right to me. But it is a question for Fair Work not the ATO. Fair Work look after questions about employee conditions. There is a lot of information in their website that might help.

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @candytangf 

Thanks for reaching out to us, we do realise this is a confusing time for many with so much information available.

Employers are required to pay employees as per the guidelines on our website. It does not sound like your employer is following these guidelines, you may need to have a talk with them or as @wonka5 advised Fair Work may be able to assist.

Alternately if you are concerned that someone you know is doing the wrong thing related to JobKeeper payments, you can tell us. To report illegal or behaviour of concern, visit making a tip off.

Good luck with everything, SueO