Announcements
Are you a tax professional needing a bit more time to lodge? Check out how to apply online for a deferral, or ask the Community!

ATO Community

Cash flow boost eligibility-**bleep**?

Views 851

Replies 4

There is a serious problem with how the ATO are administering the Cash Flow Boost. I submitted documentation for review as I missed the 12 March lodgement deadline. My business has been trading for 7 years. I pay wages. I substantiated trade for the 2019 financial year by submitting docs for review as soon as I lodged my BAS statements. I got advice from 6 different ATo helpline consultants who all advised there should be no problem. Mind you I hadn't lodged any BAS ince 2018 due to personal circumstances (business relationship costing me 300k, divorce, death in family to name a few) and requested a review of my circumstances in April as soon as I lodged mar20 Bas. A review of my circumstances said I wasn't eligible for cash flow boost as I missed the 12 March deadline - which is what I requested to have reviewed in the first instance. Having read the legislation and the ATOs own practice statements re the cash flow boost, the 12 March deadline was intended to prevent dormant companies coming to life or new companies registering for the sole purpose of obtaining the cash flow boost, not prevent legitimate business from accessing. Further, the Commissioner has full discretion in allowing the 12 march deadline to be overlooked. And given the boost was announced on the 18th of March, anyone who was behind in BAs lodgements would be automatically disqualified, which I am sure wasn't the intent (in fact the ATOs own guidance on this explicitly says this was not the intent). Yet after having my review of missing the 12 March deadline find me ineligible because I missed the 12 march deadline I am left slightly bewildered and wandering where has common sense gone. And what is with the brain dead beaurcrats who seem to not know how to interpret their own guidelines and practice statements and contradict themselves to no end.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Devotee

Replies 3

So you got initial advice telling you one thing and then the review came back saying the opposite? Have you lodged an objection

4 REPLIES 4

Most helpful response

Devotee

Replies 3

So you got initial advice telling you one thing and then the review came back saying the opposite? Have you lodged an objection

Replies 2

I will be tomorrow. This has taken 2 months to go nowhere though.

Initiate

Replies 1

I have 1 client in the same scenario - just got knocked back on the same grounds. Mind you - all the GST etc and all BAS are now updated (as the client ha had no advice from anyone as what to do)

I am thinking of objecting to this decision - as there is nothing written anywhere regarding Commissioner's discretion and where they have to / or not have to apply it - this is just an ATO general approach.

I want someone to look at the specific evidence for this client as to their reasons for not having lodged their BAS prior to 12 March 2020 - I am hoping on the objection that we get an officer who can review the individual situation and not just follow a script.

Initiate

Replies 0

Hi all

Parliment is reviewing this, 

You can sign this to help as many new businesses are being excluded just based on their GST reporting cycle https://www.aph.gov.au/petition_list?id=EN1699