Announcements
We understand that 2020 has been a difficult year but we're here to try and make it a little easier for you during tax time. You can search other people's posts, read our articles or ask your own question.

ATO Community

Casual Employee transition

Highlighted

Initiate

Views 378

Replies 1

Hi there,
In my case I have been employed as Part Time with my workplace from June 2012 to December 2019 I transitioned to Casual from December 2019 onwards. Would i qualify?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @njhumphrey 

You should still qualify (assuming your employer is eligible), as you have been employed there for over 12 months. 

From the FAQ page at Department of Treasury: 

Eligible employees are employees who:
• are currently employed by the eligible employer (including those stood down or re-hired);
• are a full-time or part-time employee, or a casual employed on a regular and systematic basis for
longer than 12 months as at 1 March 2020;
• are a permanent employee of the employer, or if a long-term casual employee, not a permanent
employee of any other employer;
• were aged 16 years or older at 1 March 2020;
• were an Australian citizen, the holder of a permanent visa, or a Special Category (Subclass 444) Visa
Holder at 1 March 2020;
• were a resident for Australian tax purposes on 1 March 2020; and
• are not in receipt of a JobKeeper Payment from another employer.

A fact-sheet for Jobkeeper for employees can be found here:

https://treasury.gov.au/sites/default/files/2020-04/Fact_sheet_Info_for_Employees_1.pdf

We are still working out the finer details, as the legislation has only just passed, but from what is stated in the fact-sheet I think it would be safe to say that you are covered, because although your employment type has changed, you were working there on a regular and systematic basis for over 12 months.

Hope this helps! Stay safe.

Josh

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Best answer

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @njhumphrey 

You should still qualify (assuming your employer is eligible), as you have been employed there for over 12 months. 

From the FAQ page at Department of Treasury: 

Eligible employees are employees who:
• are currently employed by the eligible employer (including those stood down or re-hired);
• are a full-time or part-time employee, or a casual employed on a regular and systematic basis for
longer than 12 months as at 1 March 2020;
• are a permanent employee of the employer, or if a long-term casual employee, not a permanent
employee of any other employer;
• were aged 16 years or older at 1 March 2020;
• were an Australian citizen, the holder of a permanent visa, or a Special Category (Subclass 444) Visa
Holder at 1 March 2020;
• were a resident for Australian tax purposes on 1 March 2020; and
• are not in receipt of a JobKeeper Payment from another employer.

A fact-sheet for Jobkeeper for employees can be found here:

https://treasury.gov.au/sites/default/files/2020-04/Fact_sheet_Info_for_Employees_1.pdf

We are still working out the finer details, as the legislation has only just passed, but from what is stated in the fact-sheet I think it would be safe to say that you are covered, because although your employment type has changed, you were working there on a regular and systematic basis for over 12 months.

Hope this helps! Stay safe.

Josh