Announcements
There have been some changes to the JobKeeper employee eligibility rules starting from 3 August 2020. Visit our website for more information or ask a question.

ATO Community

Casual Employee transition

Highlighted

Initiate

Views 444

Replies 1

Hi there,
In my case I have been employed as Part Time with my workplace from June 2012 to December 2019 I transitioned to Casual from December 2019 onwards. Would i qualify?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @njhumphrey 

You should still qualify (assuming your employer is eligible), as you have been employed there for over 12 months. 

From the FAQ page at Department of Treasury: 

Eligible employees are employees who:
• are currently employed by the eligible employer (including those stood down or re-hired);
• are a full-time or part-time employee, or a casual employed on a regular and systematic basis for
longer than 12 months as at 1 March 2020;
• are a permanent employee of the employer, or if a long-term casual employee, not a permanent
employee of any other employer;
• were aged 16 years or older at 1 March 2020;
• were an Australian citizen, the holder of a permanent visa, or a Special Category (Subclass 444) Visa
Holder at 1 March 2020;
• were a resident for Australian tax purposes on 1 March 2020; and
• are not in receipt of a JobKeeper Payment from another employer.

A fact-sheet for Jobkeeper for employees can be found here:

https://treasury.gov.au/sites/default/files/2020-04/Fact_sheet_Info_for_Employees_1.pdf

We are still working out the finer details, as the legislation has only just passed, but from what is stated in the fact-sheet I think it would be safe to say that you are covered, because although your employment type has changed, you were working there on a regular and systematic basis for over 12 months.

Hope this helps! Stay safe.

Josh

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Best answer

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @njhumphrey 

You should still qualify (assuming your employer is eligible), as you have been employed there for over 12 months. 

From the FAQ page at Department of Treasury: 

Eligible employees are employees who:
• are currently employed by the eligible employer (including those stood down or re-hired);
• are a full-time or part-time employee, or a casual employed on a regular and systematic basis for
longer than 12 months as at 1 March 2020;
• are a permanent employee of the employer, or if a long-term casual employee, not a permanent
employee of any other employer;
• were aged 16 years or older at 1 March 2020;
• were an Australian citizen, the holder of a permanent visa, or a Special Category (Subclass 444) Visa
Holder at 1 March 2020;
• were a resident for Australian tax purposes on 1 March 2020; and
• are not in receipt of a JobKeeper Payment from another employer.

A fact-sheet for Jobkeeper for employees can be found here:

https://treasury.gov.au/sites/default/files/2020-04/Fact_sheet_Info_for_Employees_1.pdf

We are still working out the finer details, as the legislation has only just passed, but from what is stated in the fact-sheet I think it would be safe to say that you are covered, because although your employment type has changed, you were working there on a regular and systematic basis for over 12 months.

Hope this helps! Stay safe.

Josh