Announcements
On 21 July the government announced proposed changes to the JobKeeper program. These changes don’t affect Jobkeeper payments until after 28 September 2020.

ATO Community

Casual eligibility for JobKeeper

Views 225

Replies 4

I have been a casual employee with a business for 2.5 years and work a varying number of shifts and hours each fortnight (depending on budget and rosters set by the company). I have been told that I am not eligible as I do not work on a “regular and systematic basis”. I have tried to ask my employer what criteria they used to determine this as I believe I am eligible. I was told that I need to work 21/26 fortnights in the year to be eligible! This doesn’t seem right to me and I have not seen any such criteria listed on ATO or FairWork websites. Can anyone advise whether or not this is correct?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

Dynamo

Replies 2

FairWork says - https://www.fwc.gov.au/unfair-dismissals-benchbook/what-dismissal/periods-service-casual-employee

(there is no mention of 21/26 fortnights)

What is employment on a regular and systematic basis?

It is the employment that must be on a regular and systematic basis, not the hours worked.[13] However, a clear pattern or roster of hours is strong evidence of regular and systematic employment.[14]

The term 'regular' implies a repetitive pattern and does not mean frequent, often, uniform or constant.[15]

The term 'systematic' requires that the engagement be 'something that could fairly be called a system, method or plan'.[16]

Where there is no clear pattern or roster, evidence of regular and systematic employment can be established where:

• the employer offered suitable work when it was available at times that the employee had generally made themselves available, and
  • work was offered and accepted regularly enough that it could no longer be regarded as occasional or irregular.[17]
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted

Best answer

Dynamo

Replies 2

FairWork says - https://www.fwc.gov.au/unfair-dismissals-benchbook/what-dismissal/periods-service-casual-employee

(there is no mention of 21/26 fortnights)

What is employment on a regular and systematic basis?

It is the employment that must be on a regular and systematic basis, not the hours worked.[13] However, a clear pattern or roster of hours is strong evidence of regular and systematic employment.[14]

The term 'regular' implies a repetitive pattern and does not mean frequent, often, uniform or constant.[15]

The term 'systematic' requires that the engagement be 'something that could fairly be called a system, method or plan'.[16]

Where there is no clear pattern or roster, evidence of regular and systematic employment can be established where:

• the employer offered suitable work when it was available at times that the employee had generally made themselves available, and
  • work was offered and accepted regularly enough that it could no longer be regarded as occasional or irregular.[17]
Highlighted

Replies 1

Thanks I did see that description on FairWork and believe that I definitely meet that criteria! I suspect that my employer has created their own set of criteria for determining eligibility (I.e must have worked 21/26 fortnights in the last 12 months).
Highlighted

Dynamo

Replies 0

Sounds like you are right about your employer making up their own criteria!

Good luck

@Sness wrote:
Thanks I did see that description on FairWork and believe that I definitely meet that criteria! I suspect that my employer has created their own set of criteria for determining eligibility (I.e must have worked 21/26 fortnights in the last 12 months).

Highlighted

Dynamo

Replies 0

This might be more useful (again, no mention of 21/26 fortights, in fact it says that work does not need to be frequent):

https://fairworklegaladvice.com.au/casuals-what-does-regular-and-systematic-mean/

In Ponce, Commissioner Roe stated (at [76]):
“In situations where there is not a clear pattern or roster of hours and days worked or a clear agreed arrangement between the employer and the employee, then evidence of regular and systematic employment can be established where:
• The employer regularly offers work when suitable work is available at times when the employer knows that the employee has generally made themselves available; and

• Work is offered and accepted sufficiently often that it could no longer be regarded as simply occasional or irregular.”