Announcements
Looking for information on the JobKeeper extension? Check out our answers to common questions the community has been asking.

ATO Community

Casual entitlement to JobKeeper

Highlighted

Initiate

Views 883

Replies 7

I work as a Casual in Early Childhood Education.

I have worked for the same company as a permanent part time from June 2012 to December 2019. From December 2019 I transitioned to Casual within the same company.

During January/February is a period within the industry which is quiet and almost dead. Would I being a casual from December 2019 and prior to that being Permanent Part Time be still eligible?

Casual shifts are irregular and sporadic at best during the December/January/February months. I worked a few shifts in each of those months.

I understand the eligibility says regular and systematic working as a casual?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Community Manager

Replies 6

Hi @njhumphrey,

It sounds like you would be eligible as you were employed by the same employer for over 12 months.

'"Regular and systematic’ - A casual employee is likely to be employed on a regular and systematic basis where the employee has a recurring work schedule or a reasonable expectation of ongoing work.”

There has been criteria set to say how often you have to work.

Hope this helps.

KylieS

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Community Manager

Replies 6

Hi @njhumphrey,

It sounds like you would be eligible as you were employed by the same employer for over 12 months.

'"Regular and systematic’ - A casual employee is likely to be employed on a regular and systematic basis where the employee has a recurring work schedule or a reasonable expectation of ongoing work.”

There has been criteria set to say how often you have to work.

Hope this helps.

KylieS

Highlighted

Initiate

Replies 5

“ There has been criteria set to say how often you have to work“

You mentioned criteria? Are you able to share that criteria?
Highlighted

Replies 4

Yes i would greaty appreciate a criteria for casual work test/frequency.

THis is doing my head in and will put a hugh strain on business cashflow having to pay $3000 per casual .

Naturally all casuals are asking to be included, however some have only earned as little of $2500 YTD; this doesnt seem right.

Help us bookkeepers trying to do the right thing.....

Highlighted

Replies 3

Hi, yes this is what I am looking for answers to, as well.  What are the criteria mentioned above?  I am aware of the publicised requirements, on employee age, visa, length of time with employer, type of employment etc.  But I cannot find detail on the eligibility of casuals and regular and systematic casual jobs.  Employers are offering JobKeeper to some employees but not others, purely based on the employee's average weekly hours worked in the last 12 months.  Is this an acceptable criteria, as I can't find it listed anywhere that this is allowed as a reason to offer/not offer an employee access to JobKeeper.  Who is specifically deciding on the criteria for what constitutes regular and systematic casual employment and whether employers have correctly excluded some employees?

Highlighted

Community Support

Replies 2

Hi @njhumphrey, @CarolynBurgess and @london25

Thanks for reaching out to us.

We have some information on our website about who is considered a long-term casual employee that you can check out. We also suggest that you have a look at the examples.

It is important to note that a casual employee is likely to be employed on a regular and systematic basis with a recurring work schedule or a reasonable expectation of ongoing work. What that means is that they don't necessarily need to be doing lots of hours to be eligible. Where there is a pattern of work with hours offered and accepted regularly, that would indicate that they're eligible.

Good luck with it all.

Thanks, ChrisR

Highlighted

Replies 1

Thank you for the reply.  So what do you do if you meet all of the published requirements, but your employer is then using the additional requirement of a minimum number of shifts over the last 12 months, as the deciding factor of whether you're eligble or not?  Who is regulating what employers are doing, especially those companies with a large number of casual employees?  

Highlighted

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @london25,

Thanks for reaching out.

Fair Work has provided additional guidance on employee and employer obligations – see JobKeeper changes to the Fair Work Act.

Questions about employee conditions including their duties and hours need to be answered by Fair Work.

I hope this helps.