Announcements
We’re in read-only mode while we do some scheduled maintenance to bring you a bigger, better and brighter online community.
You can still search the site to find answers or take a look at our current top 10 questions.

ATO Community

Casual to Permanent affect jobseeker?

Views 507

Replies 3

Hi all, a few weeks ago I asked my boss if I could go from long term casual to permanent and he said that should be fine. He got an HR person to draw everybody up new contracts but when he handed them out yesterday he said that he was going to keep me as casual until the job keeper payments stopped. Would the transition from long term casual to permanent full time (with same hours) affect job keeper or is he just stalling me? I’m a chippy by the way
Cheers
Paddy
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 2

Hi @Paddy1

Changing your employment from casual to permanent is not affecting your eligibility as an employee in receiving the Jobkeeper payment eg at least $1,500 gross per fortnight (if you changed employment status with another employer, maybe), because the issue is what was your status as at 1 July 2020. As per 1 July 2020 (or 1 March 2020), according to your description, you were a long-term casual, as per Your eligible employees. You can also consider this ATO Community thread re: casual to permanent (Pt 2.).

You may also want to check out the Jobkeeper extension announcement (section, 'What doesn't change', 2nd point). You may want to discuss this with your employer. Otherwise, the Fair Work Commission may assist at Jobkeeper disputes.

3 REPLIES 3

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 2

Hi @Paddy1

Changing your employment from casual to permanent is not affecting your eligibility as an employee in receiving the Jobkeeper payment eg at least $1,500 gross per fortnight (if you changed employment status with another employer, maybe), because the issue is what was your status as at 1 July 2020. As per 1 July 2020 (or 1 March 2020), according to your description, you were a long-term casual, as per Your eligible employees. You can also consider this ATO Community thread re: casual to permanent (Pt 2.).

You may also want to check out the Jobkeeper extension announcement (section, 'What doesn't change', 2nd point). You may want to discuss this with your employer. Otherwise, the Fair Work Commission may assist at Jobkeeper disputes.

Replies 1

Thanks @WainWright - do you work for the ATO yourself? So just to confirm, I’m only employed by one employer and my status as at July 1 was long term casual, and my employer is currently claiming Jobkeeper for me, if he changes my employment status to Permanent, it should have no effect on job keeper because they don’t reassess and it’s based solely on your employment status as at July 1?

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Paddy1 ,

Yes - i'm an ATO employee. There are more details in the Employee FAQ's re: Jobkeeper (even though this hasn't been updated for the 1 July test, the principles are the same). Thats right, the employment test will be as at 1 July 2020. The issue in the past has being changing jobs from a casual job to permanent job, and therefore being made ineligible. But yours is a different situation, its employment with the same employer, and therefore the test will be as at 1 July 2020 (from fortnights from 3 August), as at Your eligible employees.