Announcements
We’re doing scheduled maintenance on ATO Community to bring you a bigger, better and brighter online community.
You may see us go into read-only mode over the weekend while we do this. Don’t worry! You’ll still be able to search the site to find your answers.

ATO Community

Changing from employee to working within family trust (self employed)

Views 882

Replies 3

I have been let go from my full time employee position. My employer has applied for me to receive job keeper for the last two weeks of my employment. I will be moving to being self employed, working under a family trust arrangement as an employee. Will I be able to receive job keeper once I move into this new role?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Devotee

Replies 0

You still wouldn't qualify as am employee of the family trust because you were not employed by it before 1 March 2020
3 REPLIES 3

Devotee

Replies 2

Hi @hh2 ,

You cannot work as a self-employed and as employee at the same time for your Family Trust. Either you are self-employed or employee Smiley Wink.

However, notwithstanding foregoing, you won't be considered as an eligible business participant or eligible employee, unfortunately. 

One of the requirements for eligible employees is to be: 

<...>

either a:
- full-time, part-time or fixed-term employees at 1 March 2020
- long-term casual employee (employed on a regular and systematic basis for at least 12 months) as at 1 March 2020 and not a permanent employee of any other employer

<...>

One of the requirements for eligible business participants is to be:

<...>

actively engaged in the business carried on by your entity (at 1 March 2020 and for the fortnight you are claiming, and
they are one of the following (at 1 March 2020 and for the fortnight you are claiming):
a sole trader
a partner in the partnership
an adult beneficiary of the trust
a shareholder or director in the company.

<...>

I hope it will help

--------------------------------------------
“We can not build our own future without helping others build theirs.” Smiley Wink

Replies 1

Thanks. I didn’t word that very well. I am switching from an employee of one business, to an employee of a pre existing family trust. Thanks

Most helpful response

Devotee

Replies 0

You still wouldn't qualify as am employee of the family trust because you were not employed by it before 1 March 2020