Announcements
We’re doing scheduled maintenance on ATO Community to bring you a bigger, better and brighter online community.
You may see us go into read-only mode over the weekend while we do this. Don’t worry! You’ll still be able to search the site to find your answers.

ATO Community

Claim Super early COVID-19 417 visa

Views 596

Replies 1

Hello, 

My partner and I left Australia in January and both our 417 visas expired on 28th January 2020.

As our visas have expired can we claim our super through the Covid-19 early release scheme or do we have to claim through the departing Australia scheme and therefore be taxed at 65%? It would be good to know as I am currently unemployed due to coronavirus so would love to have access to the full amount.

Thanks in advance! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @isabelmay_b 

If you no longer hold any current visas in Australia nor are a permanent citizen or resident you are unfortunately ineligible to claim your superannuation back via Coronavirus - early release of super ( see link Early access of super). If your visa was a 417 or 462 visa this will  be taxed at 65% (excluding personal contributions made by yourself which you don't claim a tax deduction for making). For information regarding claiming a DASP payment please see link DASP.

regards

ClareN

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @isabelmay_b 

If you no longer hold any current visas in Australia nor are a permanent citizen or resident you are unfortunately ineligible to claim your superannuation back via Coronavirus - early release of super ( see link Early access of super). If your visa was a 417 or 462 visa this will  be taxed at 65% (excluding personal contributions made by yourself which you don't claim a tax deduction for making). For information regarding claiming a DASP payment please see link DASP.

regards

ClareN