Announcements
Have you sold crypto, shares or property? Our new capital gains tax guide has info about cost bases, calculations & more! Still got questions? Ask the Community!

ATO Community

Re: Claiming Jobkeeper once redundant

I'm new

Views 865

Replies 3

Hi,

I was until recently emplyed full time and had my own sole trader business on the side.

To keep my job, my employer made me claim Jobkeeper under their unbrella. They then made me redundant.

My sole trader business income has reduced by 90% since Covid. As I was no longer employed I went to claim Jobkeeper as a sole trader and was declined receiving this from the ATO:

"We have identified that another entity has submitted a JobKeeper payment application nominating this individual as an eligible employee."

I was made redundant more than 7 weeks ago.

What are my options here?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Dave5,

Sorry to hear about your situation.

Unfortunately as you can see you won't be able to apply for JobKeeper as a sole-trader as you've already nominated an employer for it in the past. Your options at this stage would be reaching out to Services Australia to see what you would be eligible for in terms of JobSeeker or other payments, and perhaps looking at early release of Super. Wishing you all the best, and hoping your business picks up again soon.

3 REPLIES 3

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Dave5,

Sorry to hear about your situation.

Unfortunately as you can see you won't be able to apply for JobKeeper as a sole-trader as you've already nominated an employer for it in the past. Your options at this stage would be reaching out to Services Australia to see what you would be eligible for in terms of JobSeeker or other payments, and perhaps looking at early release of Super. Wishing you all the best, and hoping your business picks up again soon.

Replies 1

Hey @Dave5 

Were you able to dispute the Jobkeeper decision? I am on the boat as I have just been made redundant from my part-time job which I was receiving the Jobkeeper payment.  And it would appear that the only option is Jobkeeper. 

Cheers. 

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Vee2

This may help to see the terms and conditions of redundancy and coronavirus as covered on the Fair Work website. You may wish to review those. Also the JobKeeper extension announcement if you have commenced other employment in the interim.