Announcements
Worried you’re missing part of your refund? Remember, the low and middle income tax offset isn’t a refund on its own – it’s used to offset (or reduce) the amount of tax you pay. The offset amount you may be entitled to is automatically applied and could range between $255-$1080, depending on things like your taxable income and how much tax you’ve paid.
Still not sure? Ask the Community

ATO Community

Coronavirus - Early access to Super for Australian citizens resident overseas

Views 911

Replies 1

I am a dual Australian and British citizen who has been living in the UK since 2001. I have a superannuation fund in Australia from my previous employment there. My self-employed income in Britain has been severely impacted by Coronavirus. Can I have early access to some of my Australian Super through the emergency Coronavirus scheme administered by the ATO? And, if so, how can I apply for it? I have registered with MyGov, but it seems I cannot link my MyGov account to the ATO without an Australian mobile number - I only have a British registered mobile. Also, in case it is relevant, I no longer have an Australian bank account. Does this affect my ability to claim and/or receive money from my Super under the Coronavirus scheme?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @MilesH,

Thanks for reaching out.

You can create a myGov account and link to the ATO while you are overseas by following these steps:

1. Create a myGov account at my.gov.au (skip the step to add an Australian mobile number if you don’t have access to one).
  2. Once you have created your account, download the ‘myGov Code Generator app’ to update your sign in option to use security codes.
  3. You can now link to the ATO, go to the Services tab on your myGov home page and select ‘Australian Taxation Office’.
  4. Provide the required information to confirm your identity and link your tax details.

If you don't have enough information to confirm your identity, you will need to phone us to get a unique linking code to help you complete this process.

There is more information on our website.

You can view the COVID-19 early release of super information and establish your eligibility on our website.

You do not need to attach evidence to support your application. However, you should keep records and documents to confirm your eligibility as we may ask you for this information.

It is important that you assess your eligibility accurately. We are administering this measure on behalf of all Australians and will manage the eligibility criteria with strict guidelines to ensure we can support those financially affected by COVID-19. There are penalties for making false and misleading statements.

I hope this helps.

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @MilesH,

Thanks for reaching out.

You can create a myGov account and link to the ATO while you are overseas by following these steps:

1. Create a myGov account at my.gov.au (skip the step to add an Australian mobile number if you don’t have access to one).
  2. Once you have created your account, download the ‘myGov Code Generator app’ to update your sign in option to use security codes.
  3. You can now link to the ATO, go to the Services tab on your myGov home page and select ‘Australian Taxation Office’.
  4. Provide the required information to confirm your identity and link your tax details.

If you don't have enough information to confirm your identity, you will need to phone us to get a unique linking code to help you complete this process.

There is more information on our website.

You can view the COVID-19 early release of super information and establish your eligibility on our website.

You do not need to attach evidence to support your application. However, you should keep records and documents to confirm your eligibility as we may ask you for this information.

It is important that you assess your eligibility accurately. We are administering this measure on behalf of all Australians and will manage the eligibility criteria with strict guidelines to ensure we can support those financially affected by COVID-19. There are penalties for making false and misleading statements.

I hope this helps.