Announcements
We understand 2020 has been difficult and we're here to try and make it easier during tax time. Search posts, read articles or ask a question.

ATO Community

Covid early access to super - wrong bank account number in myGov

Highlighted

Initiate

Views 8825

Replies 38

Hi there

I was filling out the myGov form to get some of my super early due to covid-19 but I accidentally put in the wrong bank account details. Is there any way to correct this and make sure the payments goes to my correct bank account.

Thank you in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Manager

Replies 16

Hi @John-d unfortunately we can't change your early release application after you have submitted it. If the bank account you provided on your application form is incorrect, I recommend that you contact your super fund urgently to correct it.

Good luck with everything. 

38 REPLIES 38
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Manager

Replies 16

Hi @John-d unfortunately we can't change your early release application after you have submitted it. If the bank account you provided on your application form is incorrect, I recommend that you contact your super fund urgently to correct it.

Good luck with everything. 

Highlighted

Devotee

Replies 1

Thsi inability to amend is mentioned elsewhere in here in relation to another ATO system, the JK enrolment sign-in procedure. The designers of these two systems at the ATO have failed a basic test of usability, by not having an edit button to correct errors.

This design flaw is creating heartache at both ends, as well as wasting time -- at the ATO answering endless questions; and on this side of the fence, where we end up pulling our hair out.

Highlighted

Enthusiast

Replies 0

@gtho4  @NicolaATO 

I absolutely agree with you when you say that this is creating a lot of problems and wasting time for many people that have made genuine mistakes, and the ATO is compounding this by giving those people incorrect information about how to deal with these mistakes!!

Most Super Funds rely solely on the information provided by the ATO and will not change details unless they are notified by the ATO via the same process.  This also comes down to fraud prevention.

The Correct procedure is that once the individual has contacted the ATO in the proper manner, it is then the ATO that must revoke the original determination it has made and then issue a new determination to the Super Fund with updated details and this is on the ATO website on a number of thier webpages including here  and  here at point 17.

@Jamesb5  @Niklas1507   have a read of this because you can actually request that the ATO revoke their determination which means your application can be cancelled if you have made a genuine mistake!!   This also means that another application with correct information can be made as its all part of the process.

What is not clear is the CORRECT procedure for individuals to follow in order for all of this to happen and this is something for the ATO to address ..... 

Highlighted

Initiate

Replies 6

Nicola are we able to cancel an application if there was a mistake?
Highlighted

Community Manager

Replies 5

Hi @Jamesb5 good question. If you want to cancel the payment, you'll need to talk to your super fund. Keep in mind that doing this will mean that your one application per financial year has been used up and you won't be able to apply until the next financial year.

Highlighted

Initiate

Replies 4

Hi Nicola, 

your "top calls about Covid-19" has the following advice in regards to the change of wrong banking details:  We can't change your early release application after you have submitted it. If the bank account you provided on your application form is incorrect, contact your super fund urgently to correct it. ATO Link

Unfortunately, I've been adviced the following by my super fund (THE TRUSTEE FOR ING SUPERANNUATION FUND): 

Due to the conditions of this release, superfunds are not able to change the banking details you provided for the release and this will need to be addressed directly with the ATO. The ATO contact number from overseas is +61 2 6216 1111 and they are open from 8.30am-4.45pm EST on business days. The superfund can only change the bank details once instructed from the ATO and the updated details have been received directly from them.

Could you please advise me and following readers on how to proceed?

Kind regards

Niklas

Highlighted

Community Manager

Replies 3

Hi @Niklas1507 I have checked with our technical area and I can confirm that your super fund will need to change these details for you.

Highlighted

Replies 1

Hello, so if accidentally gave wrong acc no, contact my super to fix this?
Highlighted

Initiate

Replies 0

they wont .  you have to let them know before it ends up in someone's account