Announcements
Worried you’re missing part of your refund? Remember, the low and middle income tax offset isn’t a refund on its own – it’s used to offset (or reduce) the amount of tax you pay. The offset amount you may be entitled to is automatically applied and could range between $255-$1080, depending on things like your taxable income and how much tax you’ve paid.
Still not sure? Ask the Community

ATO Community

Re: Criteria Eligibility Clarification

Views 613

Replies 2

Hi, I was wondering if I could seek some clarification here.

From the 26th of March to the 27th of April I was stood down from work because we closed due to covid-19 - therefore I had no shifts at work during this time. I resumed work on the 10th of May and started receiving jobkeeper. I was also on youth allowance from centrelink at the time. I am still on jobkeeper but no longer on youth allowance. Would this period of time where my working hours were reduced and the fact that I was on youth allowance make me eligible for early release super? Or does the criteria only apply to the present. I hope that makes sense.

Thank you! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 1

Hi @Paige1996,

That’s a great question and thank you for reaching out to the community.

Currently, the eligibility criteria states that -

On or after 1 January 2020 either:

• you were made redundant
  • your working hours were reduced by 20% or more (including to zero)
  • you were a sole trader and your business was suspended or there was a reduction in turnover of 20% or more (partners in a partnership are not eligible unless the partner satisfies any other of the eligibility).

As long as you met one of the above requirements ‘on or after 1 January 2020’, then you are eligible for the early release of super.

All the best,
Dejan

2 REPLIES 2

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 1

Hi @Paige1996,

That’s a great question and thank you for reaching out to the community.

Currently, the eligibility criteria states that -

On or after 1 January 2020 either:

• you were made redundant
  • your working hours were reduced by 20% or more (including to zero)
  • you were a sole trader and your business was suspended or there was a reduction in turnover of 20% or more (partners in a partnership are not eligible unless the partner satisfies any other of the eligibility).

As long as you met one of the above requirements ‘on or after 1 January 2020’, then you are eligible for the early release of super.

All the best,
Dejan

Replies 0

Thanks for your response Dejan