ATO Community

Re: Definition of Primary Employer - JobKeeper

Views 6247

Replies 24

I have two employers, one of which I have been stood down from. The other (Casual Relief Teacher - DofE - S.A), I assume I will continue to work at when school returns after the Term 1 holidays. What is the definition of 'Primary Employer'? The employer that I have been stood down from is under the impression that they are not my primary employer and I am therefore, not eligible for JobKeeper from them. Thank-you for your assistance. Have a great day!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Devotee

Replies 2

Your primary employer is usually the employer you earn the most income from. The important thing is that you only claim from one employer.

I don't think your employer is right - you can claim JobKeeper if both you and your employer are eligible. Even if you have been stood down. However, your employer can choose if they want to claim it for you or not. Have a read through this info and perhaps talk to your employer again, JobKeeper Payment.

24 REPLIES 24

Most helpful response

Devotee

Replies 2

Your primary employer is usually the employer you earn the most income from. The important thing is that you only claim from one employer.

I don't think your employer is right - you can claim JobKeeper if both you and your employer are eligible. Even if you have been stood down. However, your employer can choose if they want to claim it for you or not. Have a read through this info and perhaps talk to your employer again, JobKeeper Payment.

Replies 1

The employer is eligible and has registered. I have read the criteria and I tick all the boxes. The question is just around the definition of primary employer which I can't find any answer to in the treasury papers.

Devotee

Replies 0

Treasury won't provide definitions for everything. Your primary employer just means your main employer. There is no complex definition or criteria. It is simply just who is your main employer.

Replies 0

Hi - as far as i know the primary employer is the one you claim the tax free threshold from - i assume you are doing that with one of them?

regards  C

Initiate

Replies 19

I phoned the ATO this afternoon as I had a few questions but one of them was very similar to yours.  I have 2 jobs.  One full time and the other a permanent part time job in my husband's business which I've been at for 3 or so years. The PPT job has applied for JobKeeper.  The fulltime job is going well and won't slow down.

I asked if I would be able to claim the Job Keeper from the PPT job as the wages are considerably less than the full time (my main employer) and was advised that I meet all criteria under the legislation, and to complete the ATO JobKeeper Employee Nomination Notice from the part-time job.  The Permanent employer refers to the fact that you can only claim the Job Keeper payment from one employer, so you need to chose one.  As my FT job is fine and I won't be needing to claim from them then the PPT is the permanent employer.  I just need to notify my full-time employer that I'm claiming the JobKeeper payment from another employer in case they need to start claiming and try to claim for me as well.

The ATO representative told me to note this website address as a reference if queried as it shows in the legislation that I meet the criteria.  I think you'll find that you meet the criteria for claiming as well.  Good luck 

Replies 18

After a restless night, I contacted the ATO this morning and received the following advice from a customer service provider. Initially, she couldn’t give me a answer, but, she elevated it to a supervisor for advice. As a long term casual employee of both my employers (have never been full time or permanent of either) it is my choice as to which I determine to be my primary employer. Given one casual employer is a government department and not eligible for JobSeeker, the employer that I have been stood down by and employer eligible is the primary employer, provided I meet the criteria, which I do. ATO was extremely helpful. I received a reference number to refer back to. Be polite to them. They’ll be much more helpful if you are!

Initiate

Replies 15

@Nicholas2That's great news!  I should've asked for a reference number.  Completely forgot.   You have to be nice, they're trying their best in these uncertain times.  The poor guy I got said they'd copped so much negativity it was refreshing to get someone who actually appreciated their help.   Have a great day & stay safe Smiley Happy

ATO Certified Response

Community Moderator

Replies 14

Hi @Nicholas2@Chris28 and @Lee1307

Thanks for reaching out to us during this stressful time.

As @Iheartrefunds correctly mentioned, we now have more information about the JobKeeper Payment on our website which we will continue to update. In turn, we recommend that you keep an eye on it over the coming days as more information is added.

For your employer to be able to claim the JobKeeper Payment for you, they need to be an eligible employer and you need to be an eligible employee. If your employer is eligible and chooses to participate in the scheme, they will provide their eligible employees with a JobKeeper employee nomination notice.

If you have multiple employers, you may receive more than one notice. If you do, you can only agree to be nominated by one employer. If you are a long-term casual but also have a permanent employer, you can only choose your permanent employer. Otherwise you can choose which employer you want to receive JobKeeper Payment from. The employer that you choose will be your primary employer.

For more information about employees with multiple employers as well as what to do if you are nominated by your employer, have a look at our website. We also suggest you check out the page about how to enrol and apply for the JobKeeper payment as it explains what you employer is required to do.

We hope you found this information helpful. Good luck with it all.

Thanks, ChrisR

Replies 5

Hi ChrisR,

Thanks for the information. Just to further claify one more issue. 

An individuals casual employment forms their main source of income and that employer is eligible for the job keeper payment. The same individual has a permanent part time job which forms only a small proportion of their of income. The permanent employer has not experienced a downturn and is not eligible for job keeper payments. 

Can the individual claim the job keeper payment thorough their casual empoyer in this case? 

The main question is can a individual claim the job keeper payment through their casual employer (when they also have a permanent employer) when only the casual employer is eligbile for the job keeper payment. 

Thanks

Andrew