Announcements
We’re doing scheduled maintenance on ATO Community to bring you a bigger, better and brighter online community.
You may see us go into read-only mode over the weekend while we do this. Don’t worry! You’ll still be able to search the site to find your answers.

ATO Community

Departing Super payment - Tax rate

Views 852

Replies 2

Hi there,

So finally managed to progress with a DASP online, however as I progressed, this message came up:

Important

If you have never held a WHM visa, you need to contact the Department of Home Affairs. Visit our DASP help page for more information.

Do not submit your application as your WHM visa(s) will be shown to your super fund once the application is submitted. Your super fund will use this visa information to determine the appropriate DASP tax rate(s).

As the Department of Home Affairs advised you have held a WHM visa, the 65% rate may apply to your payment.

You can save your application and return to submit it later, after your visa information is corrected.

I intially came to australia on a WHV, I only held it for about a year before I applied for a partner visa and was placed on a bridging visa, and then a partner visa subclass when it was granted. So chances are the majority of my work employment was not on the WHV one. Will I still be taxed at 65%?? Also why would the message say this:

Do not submit your application as your WHM visa(s) will be shown to your super fund once the application is submitted. Your super fund will use this visa information to determine the appropriate DASP tax rate(s).

If I do not submit my application, how will it be possible to receive my payment? Sorry a lot of questions and confusion, I'm just trying to figure all this out. Currently back in the UK so impossible to call. Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Community Moderator

Replies 0

Hi @tashanpbhalla

Thanks for reaching out to us.

You can only access your super early in accordance with the COVID-19 measure if you are eligible to do so. This means that you must meet one of the eligibility requirements as outlined on our website.

The fact that you are applying for a departing Australia super payment (DASP) suggests that you're not eligible for the COVID-19 early release of super measure. You can only submit a DASP if you are a former eligible temporary visa holder, while the COVID-19 early release of super measure is for current temporary visa holders.

When you apply for a DASP, a message will appear if the online system has detected that you have held a working holiday maker (WHM) visa. The reason for the message is to allow you to correct it with the Department of Home Affairs if it is wrong. As you have indicated that you did hold a WHM visa, you can proceed with submitting your application.

When your super fund processes your application, they will check whether the DASP includes amounts attributable to super contributions made while you held a WHM visa. If it does, the super fund will apply the DASP WHM tax rate. If it doesn’t, the super fund will apply the DASP ordinary tax rates.

For more information about DASP for working holiday makers and how DASP is taxed, have a look at our website.

Good luck with it all.

Thanks, ChrisR

2 REPLIES 2

Replies 1

It's looking like I should apply for the early Super through myGov instead, the COVID-19 hardship one, as I think that way I may get the full amount without tax, would I be correct in assuming this?

Most helpful response

Community Moderator

Replies 0

Hi @tashanpbhalla

Thanks for reaching out to us.

You can only access your super early in accordance with the COVID-19 measure if you are eligible to do so. This means that you must meet one of the eligibility requirements as outlined on our website.

The fact that you are applying for a departing Australia super payment (DASP) suggests that you're not eligible for the COVID-19 early release of super measure. You can only submit a DASP if you are a former eligible temporary visa holder, while the COVID-19 early release of super measure is for current temporary visa holders.

When you apply for a DASP, a message will appear if the online system has detected that you have held a working holiday maker (WHM) visa. The reason for the message is to allow you to correct it with the Department of Home Affairs if it is wrong. As you have indicated that you did hold a WHM visa, you can proceed with submitting your application.

When your super fund processes your application, they will check whether the DASP includes amounts attributable to super contributions made while you held a WHM visa. If it does, the super fund will apply the DASP WHM tax rate. If it doesn’t, the super fund will apply the DASP ordinary tax rates.

For more information about DASP for working holiday makers and how DASP is taxed, have a look at our website.

Good luck with it all.

Thanks, ChrisR